cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android phone reinstalled, Dropbox login gives upgrade message only

Android phone reinstalled, Dropbox login gives upgrade message only

Hoodedclaw
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, 

had to do a refresh on my Honor 10lite yesterday.

logged back onto Dropbox to see the message :

'You need an Internet connection to upgrade you account. Please try again when you're connected'

if I hit retry it flashes a 'try Dropbox plus for free for 30days' then back to this message.

to fast to hit any skip button.

any ideas? I've tried reinstalling Dropbox again.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Android phone reinstalled, Dropbox login gives upgrade message only

jenny-r
New member | Level 2

It would appear that I have solved it on my device. I went into settings --> apps--> dropbox. Under the usage menu I clicked on storage (though it doesn't look like something that can be selected) and at the bottom left of the screen a paintbrush symbol with clear data. I selected this ---> answered yes.

Back on the first screen in dropbox from within the ap settings I pressed open app and got to a menu which said I had too many linked devices. I pressed unlink devices and was able to unlink my previous laptop and 2 mobile phones. Dropbox was then able to be opened past that upgrade screen.

It's a hideous update and new look, but at least it is functioning!

I suspect refreshing your phone has made it think that you have too many devices connected as it did on mine.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @Hoodedclaw ,

Did you try Dropbox application data clear ( not the account!  )?  If I have to bet, there gets some big mess right now. Reinstalling doesn't fix this. You will need to login anew in Dropbox on the device.

Try it. Good luck!

Hoodedclaw
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I did try to clear the application, and data, then delete app and reinstall.

jenny-r
New member | Level 2

Is anyone able to solve this as I have the same problem too. I hadn't done anything to the phone either, though it did do an Android update the other day....

I have just uninstalled dropbox and reinstalled but am still getting the same message. I have a screenshot, but this message board won't allow me to add it to the post. I cannot do anything or get past this screen rendering dropbox useless to me.

I just want to speak to a human at Dropbox, but this site sends you round in enormous circles :unamused:

jenny-r
New member | Level 2

It would appear that I have solved it on my device. I went into settings --> apps--> dropbox. Under the usage menu I clicked on storage (though it doesn't look like something that can be selected) and at the bottom left of the screen a paintbrush symbol with clear data. I selected this ---> answered yes.

Back on the first screen in dropbox from within the ap settings I pressed open app and got to a menu which said I had too many linked devices. I pressed unlink devices and was able to unlink my previous laptop and 2 mobile phones. Dropbox was then able to be opened past that upgrade screen.

It's a hideous update and new look, but at least it is functioning!

I suspect refreshing your phone has made it think that you have too many devices connected as it did on mine.

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@jenny-r wrote:
... I have a screenshot, but this message board won't allow me to add it to the post. ...

Screenshot_20201111_204738.png

Touching the photo icon brings up the below form:

image.png

Here you can select the screenshot file or just drag it and drop.

Hoodedclaw
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I just tried the same phone and it finally took me to the page before the lockout screen.

it was indeed about devices. 

for me I had to remove the phone I refreshed. No idea why it thinks it's a different phone!

thanks all. Resolved.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hoodedclaw Explorer | Level 4
    Здравко Super Collaborator | Level 20
    jenny-r New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?