cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Android phone storage is filled with dropbox files that have never been opened on the phone

Android phone storage is filled with dropbox files that have never been opened on the phone

Stuart C.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My phone is running out of storage because a very large number of my dropbox files are stored in the folder /storage/emulated/0/DocumentSync. Most of these were never opened on the mobile. I have no idea how or when they came to be downloaded. The cache was only a few megabytes, deleting it makes no difference. How can I get rid of these files without removing them from Dropbox and hence from my desktop and laptop computers?

15 Replies 15

WonderWoman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
This is not the problem on my phone... Any other ideas? I have too much stuff on my Dropbox to have it all synced with my phone. Thing is I want access to the folders and I want my phone camera to sync up pics to Dropbox for safe storage. Once they're on Dropbox I don't need them on my phone as I'm now doubling up. Dropbox is quickly becoming really annoying as it is taking up too much space on my phone and laptop!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @WonderWoman

I'm here to help you out install Dropbox across your devices. 

Please keep in mind that, when it comes to the Dropbox mobile application, it functions differently than the desktop one, hence the files are previews and they do not take up any space on your phone's memory, except from the ones that you decide to use offline

Moreover, if you'd like to free up some space on your phone, the ideal solution for you is to user the Camera uploads feature, that automatically adds photos and videos from your camera, phone, or tablet to Dropbox. Your photos and videos are then available and viewable from anywhere in your Dropbox account. 

If you'd like me to further clarify, just let me know in your reply, it'll be a pleasure to follow-up. 

Warm regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

WonderWoman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thanks Jane. If I delete pics and vids from my phone, will these also be deleted these from my Dropbox?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @WonderWoman

Just keep in mind that anything outside the Dropbox application on your phone doesn't sync to the web, so it doesn't affect your Dropbox account at all. If you decide to use the Camera Uploads feature, you can go ahead and delete your files from your mobile after they're transferred on the web to free up some space. 

Happy Dropboxing, hope you have a great weekend ahead! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

mgmidget
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am not a phone techy or computer tech. Just an "average" user. I have noticed in the past few days that I cant access any downloaded files on my Samsung Andriod phone. They are usually just PDFs' or documents. I am now getting a prompt that "I need to allow dropbox access to these files" I dont want these files put in dropbox but even if I did, when I click "ok" nothing happens ???

Any suggestion that a simpleton might understand would be much appreciated as this problem means I cannot respond to anything received until I get back to my home base

pattie57
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have found the only way to stop that message coming up is disable the Dropbox app on the Smartphone i was using, it then allows you to open the documents you want to as you normally would either in word, pdf etc. you can do this by going to Apps, find dropbox and open the app press it and hold down or touch the icon in the top right hand corner it then give you an option to disable the app on the phone.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Find Answers section here. ]
Need more support?