cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any success installing Dropbox on a Fire Stick?

Any success installing Dropbox on a Fire Stick?

Logit
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm trying to get the Dropbox app working on an Amazon fire stick.  There's no way to do so via conventional means. That is, there doesn't appear to be a formal application release for the fire stick.  But the fire stick is an Android device and one can install Dropbox "manually" (i.e., by allowing installation from external sources, finding an .apk and installling).  When I do so, Dropbox indeed installs. I can even login. But after that, the menu buttons don't work and it's impossible to navigate.  It's not functional at all.  I'd love to hear if someone brighter than I has figured this out.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Logit
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, the problem persists after re-installing Dropbox on my fire stick.  But I found a solution.  Problem solved. I can navigate the Dropbox app on my fire stick if I install the Mouse Toggle for Fire TV app per these instructions.  This little app turns the fire stick remote (after fast double-clicking the play button) into a mouse.  Then with the mouse functionality enabled, I can scroll through and work with the Dropbox app on the fire stick without a problem.  A second working solution is/was to install a third party file exploring app--one that lets one connect to a cloud storage account.  At this writing, ES Explorer is Amazon's default suggested file management app. But I don't recommend it. It's pricey. I much prefer Solid Explorer where this version installed okay on my fire stick.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @Logit; thanks for posting on our Community and happy November.

Can you please let me know the version of our app and the Android OS used in your Amazon fire stick? Is it a supported environment for our mobile app? 

Any additional information is more than welcome!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Logit
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for the response.  The installed Dropbox .apk version is 212.2.2-21220200.  My Fire OS version is 6.2.7.6 which is based on Android 7.1 Nougat. I hope that helps.

The most immediate issue with the above combination is that that the left nav bar in Dropbox doesn't work. I'm talking about the menu that appears after one clicks the three horizontal lines at the top-left of the Dropbox for Android home screen.  I can click on those three horizonal lines and the nav bar opens. However, the (very faintly highlighted) selection is stuck on the "Home" option. I can't scroll to any of the other menu items such as Settings.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If this persists after reinstalling the app, could you post a screenshot so that we can have a visual too @Logit?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Logit
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, the problem persists after re-installing Dropbox on my fire stick.  But I found a solution.  Problem solved. I can navigate the Dropbox app on my fire stick if I install the Mouse Toggle for Fire TV app per these instructions.  This little app turns the fire stick remote (after fast double-clicking the play button) into a mouse.  Then with the mouse functionality enabled, I can scroll through and work with the Dropbox app on the fire stick without a problem.  A second working solution is/was to install a third party file exploring app--one that lets one connect to a cloud storage account.  At this writing, ES Explorer is Amazon's default suggested file management app. But I don't recommend it. It's pricey. I much prefer Solid Explorer where this version installed okay on my fire stick.  

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Logit Helpful | Level 6
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?