cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Get summer ready with Dropbox basic - travel documents, plans, progress reminders and more, right over here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anytime Dropbox loads for me I get BSOD after 20-30mins (reformatted 5x)

Anytime Dropbox loads for me I get BSOD after 20-30mins (reformatted 5x)

Python49
Explorer | Level 3

I have reformatted the 1st partition (all system files, all movies, music, and other programs are on 2nd partition) many times and despite such, each time that I install dropbox it gives me nonstop BSOD after every 30 minutes.  I have ran chkdsk and other virus scanners to try to see what the problem is.   I'm not sure what the problem is -- I have dropbox syncing all of my files on the second partition by changing thet location to just be D:\dropbox\ and having all my files in this folder.  

6 Replies 6

Re: Anytime Dropbox loads for me I get BSOD after 20-30mins (reformatted 5x)

Rich
Super User II

Have you analysed the dump file? When your computer has a BSOD, it creates a dump file that you should analyse to understand what the actual cause was. A lot of times there's also information on the BSOD screen itself that will indicate what the problem might be.

Without that information, we can't even begin to guess what might be causing it.

Python49
Explorer | Level 3

Ok, ill open dropbox to let it crash and then get the dump files to post.

Rich
Super User II
You can post any information you see on the BSOD screen as that's usually quite obvious, but we can't help with the dump files here. Maybe Support can, but most people on the forums are just users like yourself. Also, the dump files are usually large (as large as your memory) so it would be difficult to handle that here. You would normally want to run them through a dump file analyzer yourself, or get a tech to do it for you.

Start with the info on the BSOD screen first, and see what it comes up with. There's usually an error code or faulting application listed with other info. Take a photo if you can.

Mark
Super User II
Just to add to what Rich said sometimes it can work wonders just putting the error codes you get in to Google.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II

Mark wrote:
Just to add to what Rich said sometimes it can work wonders just putting the error codes you get in to Google.

Yup! That's all I was going to do. 🙂

Python49
Explorer | Level 3

Hey guys,

Yeah when I was getting the problem before (when I didn't realize dropbox was the culprit) I was googling the error message and everything, as well as posting on other forums such as this post:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/638972/bsod-every-15-30mins-even-after-reformat/

I just turned dropbox on 10mins ago and got the BSOD within 5 minutes.  Here's the picture: http://oi68.tinypic.com/23iw8hx.jpg

Poll
Which Dropbox Plan do you have?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Python49 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?