cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Only Opens The Windows Explorer

App Only Opens The Windows Explorer

GolfBlogger
Explorer | Level 4

Clicking on the Dropbox Icon on my Microsoft Surface opens Windows file explorer, not the app. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail. I simply can't get to the app. It does not appear in the system tray, either. 

5 Replies 5

Re: App Only Opens The Windows Explorer

Yuikol
Collaborator | Level 8

I could have swore I responded to this before, maybe my post didn't save.

I know the setting for the app is in the general section of the preferences. And to get to preferences you go through the system tray.

I posted an outside link before about troubleshooting the system tray, maybe that got blocked. It mentioned ending the dropbox task in the task manager and restarting the computer.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @GolfBlogger, thanks for posting on our Community!

Can you try the steps in this article to change the setting of how to open folders, and see if that works?

Keep me posted!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

GolfBlogger
Explorer | Level 4

Killing the processes via the Windows Task Manager, then re-installing Dropbox fixed it. Thanks.

Yuikol
Collaborator | Level 8

Great to hear!

Can you mark my response as a solution please?

GolfBlogger
Explorer | Level 4

Actually, the article in the your current reply is not the same as the article that you originally posted. The current article wouldn't solve the issue. The previous article had all the info on killing processes.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

GolfBlogger Explorer | Level 4
    Yuikol Collaborator | Level 8
    Hannah Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?