cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App keeps indexing files, even when I'm not changing any files in the Dropbox folder?

App keeps indexing files, even when I'm not changing any files in the Dropbox folder?

Chris W.108
New member | Level 1

I am part of a company with thousands of files on Dropbox, my issue is that everytime 1 file is changed dropbox decides it needs to re index another 1-2000 files... despite no changes being made to those files.

Check a folder... need to re index the folder, add a file to a folder... you got it, re index the entire folder... delete a file... etc etc

This wouldn't be a problem except that it then means the computer slows down to a crawl meaning any meaningful work is difficult to achieve until it eventually finishes indexing... the only way I can really get any work done is to pause syncing before doing anything... finishing my work and letting everything resync/index overnight... not a very good solution but the only one I have at the moment.

So my question is how do I stop dropbox from indexing thousands of files everytime someone does one little thing on dropbox?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Indexing issues

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

That is not the normal behavior of the app.

FYI: the app gets signaled by the OS as to what files have updated, if the app is seeing 1000's of files updated when they havent its due to the OS saying they were. AKA you have some other issue on the machine.

View solution in original post

46 Replies 46

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

That is not the normal behavior of the app.

FYI: the app gets signaled by the OS as to what files have updated, if the app is seeing 1000's of files updated when they havent its due to the OS saying they were. AKA you have some other issue on the machine.

Jonathan S.49
New member | Level 1

"This is not the normal behavior of the app."

No way, really?  That's why he's here asking for advice.  

For what it's worth, I have had a similar problem since upgrading to Windows 10.  The app decides to re-index and re-sync totally random files which haven't been touched for ages.  Similar result - the computer grinds to a halt.

I haven't heard any sensible answers on this yet I'm afraid, but you are not alone.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

Jonathan S.  Did you read the rest of what I wrote? I doubt it, simply quoting the first line of my reply and bleating about it, just shows your trolling with no answers.

I explained WHY the app does what it does, it gets prompted by the operating system that something has/may have changed on that file, the app proceeds from there to evaluate it.

If another program sweeps the file and changes anything not just limited to content, the OS reports the file was touched and the app checks the file content (as it isnt told what was touched), ex, if you change the ACLs of a file it checks the file, update the create timestamps it checks the file, or make any other AFS change it checks the file, not one of these is immediately obvious to the average user, so they start barking about random reindexing, so AGAIN, the something else is the issue the DB app is just doing its job.

Find out what win10 over eager part you have playing with your files and shut it down. I would expect its a content indexer.

Jonathan S.49
New member | Level 1

Yes I did read the rest of what you wrote, and it wasn't helpful.  You are merely describing why the app is behaving in a way that is not acceptable to any normal end user, rather than offering any helpful solution.  That's not trolling, it's just my opinion on your feedback.  

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

That it wasnt helpful to YOU, just shows a lack of IT skill on your part.

RE "why the app is behaving in a way that is not acceptable to any normal end user"

That is typical end user mentality, "its not my fault, its your fault".

Well guess what the app is behaving..

how it is DESIGNED TO BEHAVE

how it NEEDS TO BEHAVE

how it MUST BEHAVE

What is miss behaving is something else on your system, that is touching the files and causing the OS to report as such to the DB app, if you just want to stick your head in the sand and NOT want the app to perform file modification checks when ever the OS reports the file was touched, then do so by pausing the DB app, of course when you update a file the OS reports that to the DB app as a touch and you will be ignoring those so you will get what you have set.

Jonathan S.49
New member | Level 1

"That is typical end user mentality"

Brilliant. 

I'm going to keep a copy of your whole response and use it as case study of who never to recruit into my organisation.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

Good for you, keep recruiting end user noobs and your sure to make some real powerful air

Jonathan S.49
New member | Level 1

No, I'll keep recruiting people who understand that they're designing for end users who pay their salaries.  Developers who don't understand that can work elsewhere.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

Agghh yes the power full air coming out. Puffing away nicely now isnt it. Still have the problem of course since your to blinded by your roar to fix it, you just expect everything else to manage your failures. Have a happy one.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Robert S. Super User alumni
    Everett C. New member | Level 1
    Alex B.14 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?