cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App won’t run on iMac with Catalina 10.15.7 after installing.

App won’t run on iMac with Catalina 10.15.7 after installing.

Helpful | Level 6

Hi have just downloaded latest Dropbox personal desktop app from site and installed onto 2020 iMac running Catalina 10.15.7 however when install complete the app will not start or run. Have tried reinstall, restarted Mac, tried advanced install and still won't run. Any help please as I use this app a lot. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: App won’t run

Helpful | Level 6

Hi All. 

Right I upgraded to Big Sur today and after sorting it out and reconfiguring my stuff i thought i'd give installing dropbox another go. unfortunatly it didnt work as a direct download. So uninstalled it and cleaned it off system. Then went for an offline install and voila it's back and working. Been quite a frustrating experience but sorted now. Thanks to everyone for their help.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Dropboxer

Hey @Kev55, thanks for reaching out!

When you try and launch the app from your Launchpad, do you see the Dropbox icon appear in your menu bar at all?

Also, do you have any other third party apps on your computer that could be preventing the app from launching? Eg. antivirus, security program etc.

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Daphne,

It's a brand new clean instalation on a new iMac Running Catalina 10.15.7. No anti virus fitted as yet no VPN. Firewall is off for installation and Firevault is on.  When Dropbox finishes installing I get an icon in Applications, Launchpad and on the dock. Thats all, no notification of completed install or request to sign in or regester they just appear. Then when you click nothing happens, it as though they are not there. 

Is this a Catalina issue or is dropbox not 64bit compatable? 

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @Kev55!

Dropbox is indeed compatible with Catalina, you shouldn't have any issues running the app due to the OS version. I personally use it on a device running Catalina too.

Could you try using the offline installer from here to see if that helps?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 6

Daphne,

Ok have tried that installed off line, which gave me the sign in box and allowed me to sign in. However that was it no dropbox, nothing visable on screen. So tryed to quit no quit option, Nothing in force quit. So deleated from Applications:- wouldn't let me as it was open and still running? Only way to stop it was via the activity moniter and cpu processes. Then it allowed me to deleat it.  

So becoming reluctant now to use it at all as i dont want it to give me problems with a brand new iMac.

Dropboxer

Hey @Kev55, sorry to hear that you're still having trouble with this. 

In this case, you can also give an advanced reinstall a shot? Maybe that will do the trick.

Remember that if you're on a Basic (free) account, you'll have to make sure that you've got less than three devices connected to continue.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I have the same problem with running the same OSX Version but on an mid2015 MacBook Pro 15''. It used to work without any problems until maybe 3 weeks ago. I didn't change anything...

Dropboxer

Thanks for joining us here @lukatonik!

If you haven't already, can you take a look at the steps suggested previously to see if that info helps?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Helpful | Level 6

Ok, Have tried advanced install, no luck.

So to make sure I have run a clean and removed all trace of Dropbox. Then restarted Mac. The reinstalled off line installation. It runs all the way through askes me to sign in acepts everything. Restarted Mac. Clicked on icon and there it hang'd nothing. Activity moniter shows dropbox running but nothing appears. I have dropbox and associated files in Finder but no desktop app. I am given no option to shut it down, if you try to deleate it wont because it's running. So only option is to stop via CPU process, then it will deleate.  then following another clean run advanced install with same results. 

Explorer | Level 3
Hi! Yes, I tried all suggested steps above. All other Dropbox functions im the Finder work just fine. It’s just the App that wouldn’t open or in fact react at all...

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?