cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

Sprane
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Looking at alternatives now

Lwdupont
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hey @Martin H.53 - 25 year macOS developer here - properly supporting macOS as how dropbox is current and should be is harder than taking their iOS code and just porting it to macOS. Love to see them do what was mentioned in a few posts back around what MS is doing.  

That being said, I'm not given them a pass, I don't think Lori knows anything about what the dev team is working on, she was just doing her job as a forum admin in July. 

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm really thankful to 9 - 5 Mac for promoting this. When I originally posted this idea, votes where slow. At least with a public article, it should hit the radar of the CEO.

I do feel for the support employees who manage this forum, especially with the recent downsizing due to COVID. The Product Managers should really own the Ideas section. #1 rule of product management, be close to your customer.

On a different note, this is from their latest investor pack.

Another key to growth is keeping your churn down. On the innovation side, well ðŸ¤”. Don't put in a hot tub when your house doesn't have a roof.

Screenshot 2021-10-28 at 14.55.29.png

STSNOC
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I did my research and happily paid for Dropbox for the last 4 years because it was the best. But corporations that aren't making gains upon gains are dead... because capitalism. So Dropbox has become bloated. This may be the final straw. Plus there is real competition now.

Hmaletter
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just became aware of this issue.  I've been relying on Dropbox for years, and love the product, which is why I consistently overpay for a product that works so well.  I've tried others before, but I still prefer Dropbox.  But one thing will have to change, because I will be replacing my aging Macs very soon.  Before that happens, I will go back and start reviewing my choices for a Dropbox replacement.  I know a ton of Mac users that use the product, and obviously this thread is just a sliver of the opposition to a pretty lame situation.  

paulypants
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This thread is absolutely insane. The fact that Dropbox's official comments are so wildly out-of-touch with reality tells you all you need to know about the inner-workings of the company. It has to be a complete tire fire behind closed doors. I'm out, moving my files elsewhere. Yikes.

Raman P.1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox, you need to update this ASAP or other services will become the norm as the Mac community continues moving to Silicon chips. Hopefully you care about the Mac community.

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

I will absolutely discontinue my longtime Dropbox subscription and move to another service if they have not concretely committed to timely native Apple Silicon support by the time my new MBP arrives (mid-Nov).

cashdollar
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Supporting a platform isn't a feature request, it's a development decision. Why would I pay for your service if you're telling me by your inaction that you won't support the future of Mac development. 

So I vote yes that you stop disrespecting mac users and support Apple Silicon. 

ajzolnoski
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The response from Dropbox here, is frankly embarrassing, and highlights the undiscovered unprofessionalism amongst their product management team.  I run a team of engineers 15+ people that all have Dropbox accounts and we just ordered a line of M1 macs, if this problem is not resolved by the time those Macs arrive that will the end of my personal account with Dropbox spanning since the beginning of Dropbox but also the end of my 15 team members that I will now direct to use another, more professional service. 

Need more support?