cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

L2AZ
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I can't believe that we are having to vote on this issue. I have long-term personal and business accounts with DropBox and if you expect to keep your users "happy" this should be a priority for you as the Apple silicon will be used in all of their upcoming computers. 

sl133
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Will not use the sync client on my MacBook until M1 support is added. The battery drain is actually noticeable and like others I was surprised to see that there was no M1/ARM support yet. I'm not sure if support is planned and just not communicated, but it's concerning that this kind of core feature is being prioritized based on forum feedback and not the fact that the Mac client is just not performing well.

Rob H.25
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm disappointed that I have to vote for native M1 support. I will wait for some months if it will come. If not, I will leave Dropbox after a long time..

nicetriangle
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Simply speaking, if Dropbox doesn't go native on Silicon in the near term, I'll be migrating to a new cloud storage provider and I have been a loyal Dropbox user and advocate for around a decade.

Beyond my personal account I also got my whole company to use Dropbox as our primary cloud storage platform. If it wasn't for my continued advocacy, they would have pushed us to OneDrive a few years ago.

Dropbox Devs seriously need to think this one over.

Ian D.6
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
The entire mac lineup is ALREADY on Apple M1

@Visual Rhythm It's not (yet) but it very soon will be!

Hmaletter
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

What you need to do first is this.

1.  Calculate the number of Mac users that currently use Dropbox and check the revenue.  The cost/benefit analysis could be done on a napkin.

2.  Immediately modify/delete your response to Mac users, fire who came up with that snarky response, own it, rectify it, just admit it.

3.  Realize how many users work at home, using Macs, and want to continue to use Dropbox.

4.  You really need to do this before shareholders find out how incredibly silly this decision continues to be.

Thegreatone
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The worst part is that it is obvious that the app uses a significant amount of resources if looking at the activity monitor as is the case with majority rosetta apps. I would expect better from Dropbox and it is just silly to provide such responses when basically the entire mac lineup is on apple silicon.

So weird how quickly the internal policies change in a company. But I guess that’s what greed brings when going from consumer focus to enterprise. I wish they could at least try in balancing both. 

Nando97
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We pay for Dropbox every month, surely you guys are working on this? If not I’m disappointed 

phantM77
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Upvoted this. Not having M1 support is ridiculous. For a long time Dropbox was one of the best options. Other services have been catching up. Inaction on this will definitely have me consider other options.

daninSTL
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was genuinely shocked to learn today that Dropbox hasn't implemented this already. I'm planning to switch over to an Apple silicon Mac in the next few months, and if this isn't fixed by then I'll have to cancel my paid subscription and work exclusively off of OneDrive. 

Need more support?