cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

LaurieC
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Ignore the tweet, keep upvoting and commenting - the Tweet says H1 2022, if they stick enough product teams on it they should deliver it a lot quicker than that.  They're so far behind the curve and forgetting the customers in their product roadmaps and delivery teams it's stupid.

H1 2022 is a 6 month period - 12-18 months after Apple announced the M1, they need to be a lot more specific in their roadmap and timing to keep customers (including me).

segeholm
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@chetman, I was afraid it meant ”first half of 2022”, but I found it hard to believe it would take them so long. 

I think Dropbox have to get their game together, but I am going to stick with their services nevertheless. It’s still at great service, and I use the ”request a file” feature a whole lot. 

But it’s so tone-deaf, almost arrogant, of their CEO to tweet that they ”of course” will support the M1 — when not even his own people take it for granted. 

Justin F.4
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

So what, companies that make virtual machines are unhindered by "lots of technical changes in the OS", but a file-syncing app will take another 8 months? Cool.

ptn
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It's appalling that making Dropbox AS native 1) had to be proposed by the users, and 2) had to gather enough votes to even be *considered* for implementation. As a paid customer, I'd go as far as to say it's outright insulting. Is that how little they value the performance / efficiency of DB? Is Rosetta emulation good enough for them? Is that how little they value my (limited) resources?

Time to look into alternatives.

chetman
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@segeholm If you won't leave over it, then they have no reason to care what you think. 

I'm actively looking for alternatives now. I haven't loved the bloat and unwelcome new "features," but it wasn't annoying enough to really think about changing. This kind of software malpractice, though, is enraging. 

cp10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

> This idea is going to need a bit more support before we share your suggestion with our team.

What share of paying registered Dropbox customers are mac users? Is that share growing or shrinking?

Leehow
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Dropbox - please update or risk loosing my subscription to your service I’ve got a business account and im quite prepare to move it to one drive or similar 

ChrisSL
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Def support native support for Drop on Apple silicone.

Currently also use MS OneDrive and I would have to drop Dropbox if MS supports but DB does not.

Thanks

-ChrisSL

Justin F.4
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yeah, I'm a graduate student. Neither my time nor my budget allow for this level of gross incompetence in a product on which I rely to manage my digital life. These comments about iCloud, OneDrive, Google Drive, Box, etc. make them sound like appealing, competent alternatives.

digitaldownfall
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Support for a major platform? Maybe in H1 FY22...

Support for a freaking VR Headset? Apparently any day now? Priorities?!

"Slack and Dropbox are coming to Oculus Quest"

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/28/22748969/facebook-oculus-quest-vr-progressive-web-apps-slack-dro...

Need more support?