cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

DBXCommunity
Community Manager
Go to solution

Dropbox currently supports Apple M1 through Rosetta. We have an internal build for native Apple M1 support, which we're currently testing and we’re committed to releasing in the first half of 2022. While we regularly ask for customer feedback and input on new products or features, this should not have been one of those instances. 

chetman
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Not for nothing, but my understanding is that both OneDrive and GoogleDrive already have native M1 builds. 

Dropbox is saying "uh, maybe by next June."

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you for the communication @DBXCommunity 

I did try and prompt you to speak with the product team and communicate more multiple times (@Lori @Hannah @Emma ) and ultimately this all would have been avoided if you did.

Support Team:
Going forward, can you please look at your comms structures internally.

I'd suggest that an Idea's forum shouldn't be managed by a support team. It should be owned by the Product Managers (generally a junior gets stuck with it). Idea's aren't just feature requests, they are a gauge of macro trends and you can also pick up product sentiment from it.

Product Managers:
As for the Product Leaders, if you communicated your roadmap, again, this would have been avoided. e.g. Microsoft saw the need to let users know when OneDrive was becoming native.

If you read through all of the comments on this thread (as I have), you will notice that you have an amazing customer base. So many people have been with you for over 10 years, active advocates and fans of the product. A bit of communication would have kept them as your advocates and put off their detractor colleagues from suggesting a switch away.

Remember, the #1 rule of product is stay close to your customers.

As for your H1 22 roadmap, as a person said on Twitter, put out an article on the challenges of going to silicon to gain empathy from your customers.

That's it from me and I'm glad my original post resulted in some communications.

Christopher D.10
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@DBXCommunity What? This thread was created because Dropbox did not provide any guidance or assurance that an Apple Silicon build was forthcoming.  Perhaps if you did ask for our input this issue would not have been publicized on the web by 9to5mac...requiring your CEO to publicly comment on it.  You had the knowledge and ability to inform us of your "on going" work on this for quite some time, but failed to do so.  TBH, I am even more upset over your response.

Hmaletter
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

A definite PR fail and flop.  

Marc A.6
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

No, @DBXCommunity , Dropbox doesn't "support M1 through Rosetta". 

The right way to say that, is that *Apple* supports your obsolete legacy Intel binary through Rosetta. Apple does. Not you. You did nothing. 

But if you had the slightest clue, you would know that despite Rosetta being an impressive feat of software engineering (by Apple, not you), your bloated software requires more resources than a VM. 

You don't support anything - Apple does. 

briantopping
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I’m not voting for this issue. If DroppedBox can’t pull their heads far enough out of the sand to recognize the sound of inevitability, well, they deserve the outcome. 

Arroyodorado
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm adding my voice here:

yes, please add native M1 support! Although still on Intel, I'm planning to get a new machine in the beginning of next year. And as a long-time paying daily user of Dropbox services, it'd be sad if I had to switch to another service just you kind of overslept this change. Rosetta is not a real option, it's an additional service by Apple to guarantee a smooth transition for developers. So please do this transition.

Thank you in advance. 8-)

aldarisbm
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@Marc A.6

You're reaching a little there buddy, "obsolete legacy" 
Should they be more proactive, yes.

Maybe if you actually knew x86 vs ARM market share in the whole world you wouldn't just be saying whatever comes to mind.

Pokapix
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Sounds more like damage control than being honest about an Native apple silicon solution, embarrassing how Dropbox tackled the situations before and after the fire spread. And H1 2022, that’s far away, and can mean all the way to June next year. You’ve had since 2020 to start working and releasing a native version, bragging about an internal beta version just shows you haven’t taken this project seriously at all, and a desperate move to try put out the fire…

spotify has the same situations with their HomePod support, a idea which had way to many upvotes and was ignored even though it had passed the acceptance bar - would be nice with even more upvotes on it from fellow apple users

spotify HomePod feature vote link

< Spotify HomePod vote> 

Need more support?