cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

chetman
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

"As for your H1 22 roadmap, as a person said on Twitter, put out an article on the challenges of going to silicon to gain empathy from your customers."

LOLNO. 

Given that vendors with equivalent or even more intense demands have *already* released M1-native builds of their tools, the time for empathy is long past. Dropbox will look increasingly foolish and out of touch every day between now and when they ultimately release a proper M1 client. 

gregmeffordsni
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Your comment provides a roughly six month window to explore other M1 native service alternatives. If the company doesn't support the platform, then ultimately my company will begin to move away.

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@chetman - Yeah fair point. They probably have missed the boat and the relationship damage is done. 

Such a shame as they had what seems like a very passionate user base. 

xmetal
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

For a company of this size to need public shaming, basically, to get on board with fundamental compatibility is pretty sad. My guess is that an engineer or two was playing around with the M1 build on the side but it was not on the radar of management until this blew up. Then you get the, "oh but of course we will!" response.

If they had been serious on this topic a.) they've had a year, it would have been done already b.) it would not take an additional 6-9 months from today to release.

I'd bet a few bucks they had no active project to get this done because Rosetta worked well enough and only now do we see leadership mention it, because they got called out. If there hadn't been an article and flood of people to this message today it would have been crickets, like it's been for the last year.

digitaldownfall
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@xmetal - I think you're spot on.

jamesdh
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Between the horrid UX redesign a few years back and now this, it feels like DropBox needs to let go of their entire product management team. 

I worked in a small startup that briefly had a terrible product manager. As the head of engineering I was raising red flags to our founder from day one. The first change put forth by said manager was universally criticized by our customers, and yet they insisted we keep said change. It took all of about a month for me to eventually revert his changes against his decision and our users thanked us for it. It took nearly another year for our founder to eventually realize that he was just a smooth talker, but ultimately had no intuition for what users wanted or how to collect the correct data (without cherrypicking) to determine what they wanted. Needless to say, he was fired.

The entire experience put such a bad taste in my mouth that I quit ~6 months later. Poor product management not only damages the experience with your users, it damages the relationship your engineering teams have with the product and senior leadership.

This rings all the same bells. All of them. 

Mark B.127
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am a very unsatisfied Dropbox customer at this point.

No Dropbox version native to Apple M1 over a year after Apple announced all Macs were transitioning to M1 processors?

There was a period of time in which I thought Dropbox was a special company. Whatever magic they had is gone, all that remains is the same app they started with and they can't even keep that up to date.

I hate being negative like this, but Dropbox isn't some little startup anymore. Get your act together.

(Also, the intrusive support site "badge" notifications are an insult to my intelligence as a customer.)

speedyraf
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I read that Dropbox will release a native version "first half of 2022". We're considering new MacBook Airs when they get updated possibly next spring? For several years, we've used Dropbox, so the decision to switch won't be simple but all depends upon the timing of the release along with how well the current version works on Silicon at that time. 

instanttaco
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The lack of priority for developing m1 compatibility is unbelievable and ridiculous. I'll be canceling my professional plan if an m1 update is not rolled out before my next yearly billing cycle.

emes
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yeah.  It's time to move on from Dropbox.

Need more support?