cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

Ian D.6
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Ok, time to mute the notifications on this thread to save my Inbox from drowning! 😂

robsall
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox - this is a complete embarrassment on your part that you have not yet adapted to this. Apple gave you plenty of notice they are switching architecture to the ARM chips - Rosetta is a workaround!

I use dropbox exclusively for my cloud sync between devices, but if this is not corrected, I will have to cancel my TB's of storage with you and find an alternative. 

Ignoring it and your users is NOT an answer!

linetrace
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I too have been a longtime Dropbox user and migrated to M1 as soon as they became available, so am shocked that M1 support may not be being worked on yet. I'm an IT consultant and a number of my clients use Dropbox too and they'll need M1 support as well.

Bresy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This should already be in place, to be honest. Looking elsewhere now as Dropbox is requiring us to vote on it. Could you imagine Adobe asking us to vote for M1 support? Crazy. 

Robbyv21
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox, there is no need to update for M1. I’ve already unsubscribed my work account and will be using iCloud. 

it’s been nearly a year and no commitment…

tjanderson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is fantastic! We've gone 170ish votes to almost 1000! 

Is that enough votes for you Dropbox?

Many of us seem to be in the same boat. New M1 macs coming around the same time as my subscription is ending. I know there are competitors I could move but I do like Dropbox as a service and doing some Video work I like their ideas with Replay... so I'm going to hold out hope (maybe foolishly) that Dropbox will wake up and say OOPS... We're on it! 

ddadda
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Our household is a long time Dropbox user.  Six machines, two of which are now Apple silicon and ALL of which will be Apple silicon by the fall of 2022.  Making Dropbox run natively on Apple silicon isn't some esoteric move; ALL my other software made the move, including piddling little utilities without a big technical team (i.e., one person shops).  Is Dropbox doing this as a loyalty test; because we have easy alternatives. There's Microsoft, there's Box.   Personally, I'm setting them an end of year deadline.

hejazzman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The problem with all our "I'm leaving" comments, is that unless we're a sizable part of the customer base (we as in not just AS users, but AS users who will indeed leave Dropbox), nobody cares.

A Dropbox representative could laugh at our face and call us wankers, and it wont matter to Dropbox the company, unless many, not just a handful, of AS users left the platform. And that's many as in "compared to user base numbers Dropbox cares about", not as in "thousands left". Thousands could be nothing if there are 2 million AS users remaining.

So, where do that leaves us? 

briannasees
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

As a business Dropbox user who is preparing to transition to an M1 Mac soon, this is incredibly disappointing. 

Martin H.53
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Lwdupont Agreed, porting an iOS app to macOS isn't trivial at all, but they do already have the macOS client as you mentioned. What I meant is that Dropbox could in principle (trying to be generous here) depend on some third-party code that hasn't been recompiled for Apple Silicon yet. Since any such dependency would plainly have both an iOS (Apple Silicon) version and a macOS (Intel) version, producing a macOS (Apple Silicon) version shouldn't be too hard.

Having looked at their app package now, it looks like they only rely on open source third party software anyway, so they should be able to simply recompile it themselves...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard115 New member | Level 2
    jekratz Collaborator | Level 9
    jlaguna Experienced | Level 12
    Michael C.143 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?