cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

vasisht
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It is absolutely asinine that Dropbox is refusing to update their app out of some perceived lack of interest in the community.  You have thousands of paying customers who use macOS, many of whom are upgrading to Apple Silicon.  This is a required upgrade from your standpoint or you will run the risk of losing customers to OneDrive, GDrive, Box, etc...

benjymessner
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

literally only a product manager would think this is a good way to prioritize must-do upgrades

pnowell
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The whole idea of Dropbox's macOS integration is to be as unobtrusive and seamless as possible—just add a green checkmark next to my files and provide some extra file sharing options. At its best it feels like an extension of Finder. This is a fundamental promise to users, and failing to do this right—in a lightweight, battery-efficient, modern, and unobtrusive way—has me and many others looking for competitors who will deliver on that promise.

Jauneattend20
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Tout simplement fou cette histoire ...

Flixy98
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dear Dropbox team

I have to move to another cloud storage service if you won’t make your app ARM M1 native. Google Drive is native and Microsoft OneDrive will get native support in a couple of weeks. What is stopping you? Here are thousand of customers who are likely to move to another service if you can’t get it under control and give us what’s overdue.

Jason R.10
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@dropbox simply put if dropbox doesn't update the software to support Apple Silicon then I will find another solution and discontinue my dropbox subscription. Please update your software to support ARM 

evds
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have been a member for many years. It would be sad to have to leave over this.

oliverl
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

What's crazy about this is that (I'm guessing but someone please correct me if you know otherwise) a majority of Dropbox's engineering team uses Macs. Something doesn't add up. 

GrandfatherTrout
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The idea that unless we explicitly tell you to, you're going to allow your product to stop working on Apple machines — because Rosetta is a TEMPORARY BRIDGE, and sooner or later, that bridge will be OUT — is pretty shocking. It's not as if you don't know that you have a significant Mac-using customer base.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard115 New member | Level 2
    jekratz Collaborator | Level 9
    jlaguna Experienced | Level 12
    Michael C.143 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?