cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

DJ CERLA
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Wow are you REALLY not embracing the Mac natively from now on?

I don't need gas guzzlers on my M1 Mac so I won't be renewing my subscription without at least a native beta at the horizon.

Pokapix
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Upvoted! Didn’t even know this had to be a upvote thing to respect paying Dropbox customers! 

I’m running dropbox on M1 and as well are my network of creative & development collaborators, it works, BUT it’s a memory hog!

me, my network and even my clients, have been waiting patiently for a native update, and every time they have had talks about other solutions than Dropbox (those do exist Dropbox!), I’ve used arguments why your solutions are the better one.

This stops today, due to your arrogance attitude to your customers on both free and paid platforms. Us users shouldn’t go on your forum and VOTE for a feature which should been there from the start!

Rosetta is a temporary solution and as effective it is, it’s not RAM friendly at all! - you need as a company respect the platform and optimize your app to the fullest.

I’ve paid for your service for years, I’ve had friend, freelancers, network and even clients! Choose your paid solution, because we really thought you wanted to create a professional, stable and effective solution for collaboration across platforms and country borders.

today I again say, no more, I just recently convinced a large company of 500 workers to stick to your platform, when they argued that OneDrive was already included in their teams plan. I’m not going to do that again, and if they even bring it up, I’ll let them know that Dropbox has started to drop on their quality as a service and have lost their brand status as one of the best solutions.

I’ll start looking elsewhere for what’s possible today, and if you don’t start respecting us users, on different platforms, then I won’t be returning. You have had almost 1 year! And end of 2022, there will only be sold ARM solutions from Apple, and you’ll have a bigger problem by then.

So pull yourself together Dropbox, and don’t act like a 💩, your better than this arrogant reply to your users.

also I just became aware of this forum post from a news site, so fire is spreading

JoeRegu
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Wonder if Brett Schuenemann, Director of Product, Core Dropbox will provide a roadmap update instead of hiding behind the lame responses from the community staff? https://www.linkedin.com/in/brettschuenemann 

Lilred505
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Reading lots of these comments, its clear that Dropbox is in its own little bubble..  There is a complete architecture change here.  This is a MANDATORY update that they must do.. We should not be voting.  Complete incompetence in Dropbox to even ask this.  I also will be searching for another option if this is not updated to support a new computer.

This is like saying.. well, I know you just got a new IPhone but we aren’t going to change it.. you should just use your old phone… its too much work to add another phone to be compatible with our software.. 

kromix
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I will be leaving Dropbox if they don't provide us an m1 native app. RIDICULOUS.

Nick M.45
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I had not idea this was happening until now. If they don't upgrade by EOM, I'm switching over to Google Drive. Unreal.  

Hauman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I’m stunned this is still a problem. Please address— or I can go find other solutions.

melvin
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Long time paid user of Dropbox. Never had any issues prior. Today I’ve just switched to an M1 MacBook and this came as a show stopper for me. Will stay on for a short period for the engineers to conclude their decision before I decide if I should really shift to another provider.

Colbster
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was wondering why my office’s Dropbox didn’t seem to sync well on my new Mac mini! C’mon guys, you’re a file sharing system, not some graphics intensive 3D software or something. I’m getting a new MacBook pro in a month or two, you better get up and running on M1 by then or I’m going to go ape**bleep** on your ass

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard115 New member | Level 2
    jekratz Collaborator | Level 9
    jlaguna Experienced | Level 12
    Michael C.143 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?