cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

FreeLunch
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes - Native support is a must.  I will start my shopping for other providers if native support isn't provided within a reasonable timeframe.

Naptha
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

A native Apple Silicon version of Dropbox should have been available since the launch of the M1, this is ridiculous and will make me consider other options.

And I’ve been a loyal, paying Dropbox user since the service launched. Smells of corporate greed and narrow mindedness.

Offdwall
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Nonsense that we as users have to vote to make a paid service work properly. Box and Google Drive work natively. I am receiving my first M1 computer this week. I will be cancelling the service if the battery life is unacceptable with Dropbox running in Rosetta.

was2be
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It's hard to believe that Dropbox is satisfied with the status quo. Apple silicone is here to stay, and needs native support, as will Windows ARM. Otherwise, consumers will eventually be forced to drop Dropbox. 

Cguer
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I guess I will switch to Box. They just updated their app to fully support the M1.

GEK
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Does this idea have enough votes now??? Get it together Dropbox. This should have been done already.

toups
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why does every other cloud storage provider support M1 Macs but not Dropbox? My nearly 1-year-old MacBook Air M1''s #1 consumer of memory is Dropbox! It's like hauling a trailer with a Corvette.

It's been nearly one year. We have been patient. It might be time to move my paid Dropbox subscription to another provider.

jdrummey
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Long-time Dropbox user here with an Apple Silicon MacBook Pro on order. I've always liked that Dropbox (compared to Box, which I have to use for work) is fast to sync and for me actually uses *less* CPU memory than Box on my current Intel MBP. Hearing that Dropbox on Apple Silicon consumes more CPU and RAM than Box presently does makes me want to move away from Dropbox since I have a choice.

Box has been able to come up with a version of their software that supports NSFileProvider and avoid the need for kexts, I hope Dropbox can do so as well.

Jeffrey Bonacci
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

To think that I pay for a subscription to this service... if they don't want my money, I'm glad to give someone else my money. Just tell me you no longer want my business and I'll happily move. I'm only tied to this service because of my legacy. Storage options are storage options. They aren't the only player in the game. It's just surprising that the company (with all of the setbacks they have had over the years) would even think to propose such a thing. Even if a percentage of your business is Apple Hardware... why would you not want to keep every penny anyone is giving you in this climate? Seems silly on their part.

Drb762
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox is choosing to go the route of Intel and do nothing while watching a large client base walk away. Wonder what the dev team will do when more and more Windows user also head over to ARM. 

This is just silly. Get your stuff together people. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard115 New member | Level 2
    jekratz Collaborator | Level 9
    jlaguna Experienced | Level 12
    Michael C.143 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?