cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

Michael Bissig
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Please! Most Software is M1 by now. Can you please hurry up, otherwise we'll have to move. There are other options. Can't be that hard 😉

schwabenjaeger
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

There is no question that Dropbox needs to support MacOS on M1. As developer I cannot understand how they missed this.

Xprt
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Happy to hear you’re working hard on a Native M1 version of Dropbox. This is a dealbreaker for us. 

chetman
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Xprt , if they were indeed "working hard" on it, it'd already be done -- in my whole toolchain, they're the ONLY holdout. M1 dev kits have been available for over a year. 

Dropbox was too busy fattening the service up with collaboration features nobody asked for and ignored bringing CORE SERVICE FUNCTIONALITY up to date. 

snmorbe
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

My business is waiting for this feature. Please make this internal build for native Apple M1 support soon, because otherwise we will leave Dropbox. It is to long waiting.

snoggle
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

First half of 2022? You'd think they'd throw more resources at this now that it's received so much attention.

Eichinger
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I've been following this for a while now and just now I read they start working on it.

I've been using dropbox only in my webbrowser ever since on my M1 Air and it's a pain.

I thought this was a no brainer for a caliber like dropbox to support M1s as fast as possible. It's embarrassing. 

And even when it's done. I think I am not so sure anymore If I want a sharing system like this running on my Laptop unless it's really well coded and lightweight.

The things I read about performance under Rosetta 2 - and the things I see on my Intel Desktop Mac in the Activity Monitor make me think otherwise.

It's a pity ... 

TaylorDW
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Please release the internal build and let us test it, too.

As a paying customer, we should not have to wait this long for support the latest cutting edge processor from a company that charges the prices you do for this service.

I am not complaining about paying ... I am not pleased with this purposeful lack of attention to technical detail and support for paying customers.

David Taylor

TaylorDW@me.com

TaylorDW
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Please release the internal build and let us test it, too.

As a paying customer, we should not have to wait this long for support the latest cutting edge processor from a company that charges the prices you do for this service.
I am not complaining about paying ... I am not pleased with this purposeful lack of attention to technical detail and support for paying customers.
David Taylor
[email address removed per the Dropbox Community Guidelines]

dgeens
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Indeed; Dropbox is my entire life, but professionally and private and it is hard to believe that as one of the best business programs, they don't have native M1 support yet.

Dropbox, you need to step up.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard115 New member | Level 2
    jekratz Collaborator | Level 9
    jlaguna Experienced | Level 12
    Michael C.143 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?