cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

@jekratz Ah, sorry, didn't see your followups. Interesting!

jekratz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

For reference for everyone here is the desktop client release page:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/bd-p/101003016

It shows beta/release versions.

jekratz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

With the version you have it seems it should be Apple Silicon though. It can be a weird timing thing with their updater though. If it doesn't auto update with the next official release I'd go to that page I posted and just manually install the Apple Silicon release.

snmorbe
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@jekratz You tell me that this is the officieel stable M1 version: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-desktop-client-builds/Stable-Build-142-4-4197/td-p/578106

This version is on the Macbook Pro: version 142.4. 4197. But the system information under 'kind' is telling me it is Intel. See my picture. Image Dropbox intel.jpeg

jekratz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

And just for reference here is my Activity Monitor for the same version (142.4.4197)

ScreenShot 2022-03-01 at 10.41.09 AM.png

snmorbe
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@jlaguna and @jekratz I have chat with 4 Dropbox support people. They all tell me that the 142.4.4197 version is a stable version, but the version which works with Rosetta. I don't have the earlier release option open. I don't want that.

One of them tell me:

( 15:57:02 ) Visitor: How can this be M1 version?
( 15:57:07 ) Tony: I'm really sorry for the confusion. It appears that the version you are running is a stable version that is being made compatible with Rosetta
( 15:57:25 ) Visitor: Oke. Now it is clear for me.
( 15:57:43 ) Tony: Really sorry for the incorrect steps
( 15:57:52 ) Visitor: No problem.
( 15:58:03 ) Tony: As soon as the M1 version is available, the soort should say apple (M1)
( 15:58:04 ) Visitor: Very good you tell me this.

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

@jekratz Hm, looking at your Activity Monitor output, I believe you were simply upgraded to an Apple Silicon version of the classic Dropbox app that still uses the now deprecated MacOS file extensions — the M1 MacBook Air that I have in my office was upgraded automatically to that version as well a couple months ago. These file extensions are not going to be supported in future versions of MacOS. The version that is still in beta uses the MacOS FileProvider extension that Apple is requiring Dropbox, OneDrive, and other sync services to use in future versions of MacOS instead of the deprecated extensions. This is the only version that will be supported longterm.

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

That there are actually two very different Apple Silicon versions of Dropbox at the moment is yet another thing that Dropbox has not clarified in this bizarre saga...

jekratz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Yes that was the last release version, yet still a native Apple Silicon release. The one you are referring to I assume is the beta which I will not install.

jekratz
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

But that release only came out a couple weeks back. Prior it was beta (which I was also messing with and had too many issues so went back to Intel until they officially released it).

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard115 New member | Level 2
    jekratz Collaborator | Level 9
    jlaguna Experienced | Level 12
    Michael C.143 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?