cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

Apple Silicon (M1) Desktop Sync Compatibility

_robin_
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Please can you upgrade the Dropbox app so that it works natively on Apple Silicon Macs (M1) without Rosetta.

Rosetta is not an option as it annihilates the battery.

This may be a duplicate of the below idea however that started for ARM processors in general and you haven't looked at it in 6 years so starting an Apple specific idea in the hope you see it.

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Desktop-app-with-syncing-for-devices-with-ARM-processo...

There are also lots of comments on this thread to help support the case for demand: 

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Dropbox-Apple-Silicon-M1-install/td-p/... 

496 Replies 496

simonk83
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yeah I'm jumping ship also if this isn't prioritised soon. The battery hit alone makes it an essential need, but honestly it should have been on their roadmap ages ago. Dropbox isn't the only solution for file storage, there are plenty of options out there.

Nycalt
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Come on folks, read the writing on the wall. Dropbox has been in bed with Microsoft for years, and that is clearly influencing their commitment to Apple hardware.

Soren P.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

This is ridiculous, either say the truth that you are not interested in creating an M1 silicon native version of the application or I'm leaving.

I've been a user for over 5 years and this type of response is a disgrace. Apple Silicon was released in late 2020. Dropbox had a long time to get its **bleep** together and it looks like nothing has happened.

Please give us the truth rather then some lame answer.

Not applicable
Go to solution
-

DangerSpice
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Adding to the pile of people who are considering looking elsewhere. I just ordered an M1 Max with an expected delivery at the end of November, I have been using DropBox Professional for personal use for the last year, and I'm about to start researching and adding a cloud storage option for my team, for 20-25 licenses, sometime before the end of the year. It may not be a huge corporation of thousands of licenses, but it's also important to note that I'm not just some free user complaining either.

I'm sure the Twitter/Reddit thread is getting this more attention today than it's had in a while (after all, that's how I found it!), but if there's not a response from DropBox with acknowledgment that it's being worked on and some semblance of a timeline by the time I receive my laptop next month, then I'll be recommending another service for my team and will move my personal files to another service as well.

g0ba
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We seriously have to vote for native support? How is this not a development priority?

If I had known it wasn't even a priority before my subscription just re-upped, I wouldn't have resubscribed. As it stands, if this isn't ready before my subscription renews again, it will not renew again. To be more clear, if you want any more of my money, get it together and support macOS natively. 

justin0x9
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox engineers please devote the time and energy to build a native Apple Silicon (arm) build.

Look at all the Dropbox processes showing kind Intel.

dropbox.png

tjanderson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I suppose one good thing from this today is the number of votes for this increased by at least 50 since this morning.... Of course we won't hear from Dropbox what the threshold is for them to consider but hopefully we've triggered some internal metric that they'll start to care about this now and commit (as well as communicate) making this native

paultreny
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

if I have to register to vote and do so just to get Apple silicon support so be it, but this isn’t the Dropbox I’ve paid for the last 10 years… I hope this gets resolved soon

junksfan
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Oh dear, unfortunately they don’t seem to care now. Cancelled auto renew for my yearly Dropbox subscription; I’ll look elsewhere. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard115 New member | Level 2
    jekratz Collaborator | Level 9
    jlaguna Experienced | Level 12
    Michael C.143 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?