cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Application Error on Uninstall

Helpful | Level 6

Dropbox (free version) on my desktop stopped working and I'm attempting to uninstall so I can resintall. I'm getting an error message every time I try to uninstall. I've gone through your site for solutions and all it's telling me is to try various ways to do the same thing. I use Dropbox daily so I need this working on my desktop. 3 days ago Dropbox it was working fine. I'm running Windows 10.

DropBoxError.jpg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Application Error on Uninstall

Helpful | Level 6
My son is a systems administrator. He’s been trying to get Windows to load but it looks like it’s corrupt and will have to be reinstalled (not the outcome he was hoping for). On the bright side, my files are safe thanks to the way he built the computer.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @JR1260

Sorry to hear that the uninstall process on your Windows computer is giving you this error. I appreciate the screenshot. 

Let's fix this issue: 

1. Opening your "Task Manager" by right-clicking the taskbar and clicking "Start Task Manager".
  2. Click on the "Processes" tab to see if there are any other processes associated with Dropbox that may be preventing Dropbox from being removed from your device.

Note You may need to click "Show processes from all users" to check all processes.

3. If you see any items that refer to Dropbox, or recognize any programs that you may have linked to Dropbox, please perform the following steps for each applicable process:

• Click on the line that references the process to select it
  • Click on "End Process"

After you've done so, please try to follow the normal uninstall instructions found on this page.

Let me know if this solved the issue. I'll be here to help you more if this doesn't work. 

Thank you!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6
Hi, thanks for trying to help. Unfortunately it looks like it’s a hardware problem. After I posted here I started getting error messages with all my programs. The computer is currently unable to boot up after attempting a repair. My computer guy (my son) thinks my hard drive is dying.
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. 

Your Son might be right. I will help you check this. You can learn how to check your hard disk for errors here. Windows (instructions work for all supported versions)

Note it can take a long time to check your entire hard drive.

Hope you manage to fix it. I'd be happy to know it is fixed and help more if I can. 

Good luck!

Fiona

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6
My son is a systems administrator. He’s been trying to get Windows to load but it looks like it’s corrupt and will have to be reinstalled (not the outcome he was hoping for). On the bright side, my files are safe thanks to the way he built the computer.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Great to hear you figured this out. 

Your files are also safe on your Dropbox cloud. After you fix the issues with your Operating system, you can sync the Dropbox files from the cloud to your device again. 

If you need anything else I'd be happy to assist. 

Have a nice weekend! 

Fiona

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?