cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Are there any reasons to install Dropbox Windows?

Are there any reasons to install Dropbox Windows?

HelsiBorlis
New member | Level 2

I am a new user of Dropbox. I have not installed Dropbox for Windows yet because I have one question.

Is it behave like OneDrive by creating a folder on your local drive and syncing everything from the Cloud to it? Because I do not need this behaviour. What I need is a possibility to link some of my local folders with some folders on the Cloud. These would be different folders from different PCs. Is it possible?

If not, there are some other reasons to install an app instead of using the web version?

1 Reply 1

Re: Are there any reasons to install Dropbox Windows?

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

@HelsiBorlis wrote:

If not, there are some other reasons to install an app instead of using the web version?

Hi @HelsiBorlis,

Such a decision is always something private (i.e. yours).

@HelsiBorlis wrote:

Is it behave like OneDrive by creating a folder on your local drive and syncing everything from the Cloud to it? ...

Here you are wrong! OneDrive doesn't create any folder on your local drive (by default). That's exactly what Dropbox does! This is a significant difference. OneDrive creates a virtual drive on your system, not a folder! Dropbox creates a folder and sync everything to there (by default). You can exclude some folders (Selective Sync) or limit engaged space to some extent (Smart Sync - not very well implemented).

@HelsiBorlis wrote:
... What I need is a possibility to link some of my local folders with some folders on the Cloud. ...

Dropbox is able to sync only files/folders residing within Dropbox folders, not outside! If this is a issue for you, the answer is NO. The usage of Selective Sync lets you select exact folders you want to sync to every one particular machine. If this works for you, the answer is YES. In all cases everything is sync must be within Dropbox folder, not on arbitrary place!

Hope this clarifies matter.

PS: You can select pCloud. It, like OneDrive, creates a virtual drive and lets you select what to be kept in sync (not limited to particular folder only, but for arbitrary local folder). This might be the closest to your needs (according to description you provided).

Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Need more support?