cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempt to link business account to personal on MacOS Catalina crashes dropbox

Attempt to link business account to personal on MacOS Catalina crashes dropbox

szasulja
Explorer | Level 3

I received a Dropbox business account from my employer. I'm trying to link this to my work computer, which already had my private Dropbox account up and running. I linked the two accounts on Dropbox Web, but when I try to link the new account on my Macbook Pro, it crashes Dropbox. The "Dropbox unexpectedly quit. Close / Restart Dropbox" window pops up and it usually takes a few attempts to restart it again before it stops crashing. This happens when I go to Preferences/Account/Link [WORK} Dropbox or when I click on "Link" in the Notification saying I can add the work dropbox to this computer.

I updated to latest Dropbox version v96.4.172. I have the latest MacOS 10.15.4. I also tried an advanced reinstall of my Dropbox following these steps. I restarted my computer several times in the process. Nothing helps. Any ideas what to do?

5 Replies 5

Re: Attempt to link business account to personal on MacOS Catalina crashes dropbox

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @szasulja, thanks for messaging today!

Could you check if there’s any antivirus or security software that could be blocking the Dropbox desktop application from making any changes.

Did you install the Dropbox desktop application with admin permissions to ensure that it is running correctly.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: Attempt to link business account to personal on MacOS Catalina crashes dropbox

szasulja
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply, Jay. I had a McAffee endpoint security thing. I deleted it from my computer and restarted it. The problem still persists, unfortunately. I have admin permissions, so that's not the issue.

However, I realised that Dropbox crashes immediately whenever I try to open the Dropbox app (e.g. from Finder/Applications). So it's not just the linking of the business account. It's anything beyond having it in the background syncing stuff. So the problem seems similar to this report, but that one got never solved.

Jay
Dropboxer

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

szasulja
Explorer | Level 3

Hmm. I tried the advanced reinstall before, although I got some errors in the Terminal that it had some issues with some files in a shared folder which I believe are read-only.

But also, now that I double checked the number of linked devices I see my problematic work computer listed twice with the same name and IP and everything. Could it be it? With this strange doubling, I have 4 devices at the moment.

What do you suggest?

Jay
Dropboxer

It's possible this is an old installation on the same machine, or on another login on your machine.

In order to be able to reinstall the app after an advanced reinstall is to have no more than 2 devices (or 3, assuming one of them is your current device, since you would be uninstalling and reinstalling the same device).

Unlinking those two machines with the same IP will return it to 2 devices, so you can install the desktop app again.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?