cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempting to install on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Attempting to install on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

campbelldw
New member | Level 2

So I used the command line installation for the 64bit version of Dropbox integration on my Ubuntu 18.04 system using the instructions found here:  https://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/install-dropbox-ubuntu/ and dropbox.com/install-linux.  When I ran step 2 the ~/.dropbox-dist/dropboxd command it provided me this output:

(dropbox:7545): libappindicator-WARNING **:14:16:58.009: unable to get session bus: connection is closed

further efforts such as running the 'dropbox start -i' to install the daemon resulted in the same result with the error incrementing to 

(dropbox:8001): libappindicator-WARNING **:14:16:58.009: unable to get session bus: connection is closed

and then to 

(dropbox:8408): libappindicator-WARNING **:14:16:58.009: unable to get session bus: connection is closed

when it gets to this point it just hangs the session and a 'crtl-c' is needed to return to the prompt.  

Please let me know what next steps are needed to complete this installation.  Thanks

2 Replies 2

Re: attempting to install on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @campbelldw ,
Don't follow arbitrary guidelines. Seems you tried direct daemon run, something I wouldn't advice you! Have you installed libappindicator and make sure you have working system tray? Do you use some other application with tray icon (like Skype, for example) and do corresponding icon appear properly? If need, install appropriate extensions to make this (tray icons) works. What's the result from:
dropbox status
Hope this gives right direction. 😉

Re: attempting to install on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey there @campbelldw; were you able to resolve your concern after @Здравко's suggestions? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?