cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Warning phishing file when opening dropbox.com

Avast blocks opening Dropbox Web site from the application

faustino1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Avast notificationAvast notificationWhen trying to launch the Dropbox Web site, from the icon of the application, Avast blocks it identifying it as phising (see attached image).

It happens also when trying to reach Dropbox from the links ("Share..","Version History", etc.) of a file in the local folder.

Reinstalling Dropbox, or unlinking/linking to the account, does not solve it.

(Otherwise, there is no problem when opening the Dropbox web site by login in the web browser.)

I am using macOs Catalina and Chrome.

53 Replies 53

schimpn
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It seems indeed that if i use a new page in my browser to access my account via dropbox website login page

There is no problem to access to all dropbox tools and your folders 

in the meanwhile waiting for the problem to be solve with the dropbox icon ...

Debby M.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I've just had a chat with Dropbox support about this - a sort of "There's a hole in my bucket" type conversation. The solution is to "reach out" to your av supplier.

"I completely understand. The error message you are getting is showing exactly what is preventing the Dropbox Desktop app from running, and it is showing you that it is being blocked by your antivirus. Setting it not to block Dropbox will fix the issue. However as AVG is 3rd party software, it is beyond the scope of what we can show you how to set, so you will need to reach out to AVG for support on its settings. "

The fact that my AV has never blocked it before is something that concerns me, remembering the big hack of 2016.

ttuAlt
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same issue on Mac OS

Dropbox: v85.3.138
Avast: v14.2 - Virus definitions: 19110302
Mac OS: 10.14.6

jim24
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When I try to access the dropbox website from the avatar in my finder dropbox app, I get a virus warning and message that site is not available

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jim24, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

Could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of this behavior so that I have a better visual understanding of your concern?

Keep me posted!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jim24
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Screenshot 2019-11-04 15.51.30.png

mk72
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi. Had the same problem. Fixed it by downloading the newest dropbox Desktop App from dropbox.com. Installed and ,.... everything's allright. No Virus-message anymore. greetings.

plg
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is ridiculous. Dropbox's answer is disingenuous (I am trying to be gentle here). The point is not whether the infected file comes from Dropbox's website, but whether it is generated by Dropbox's local application. I quote:

That file isn't from the Dropbox website. When you use the icon in the Dropbox app to visit the website, the app directs you to a locally generated HMTL file which then redirects to the Dropbox website.

A "locally generated file redirecting to the Dropbox website" is generated by WHICH PROGRAM, if not by the Dropbox local application? That's the key issue. If the app itself is compromised, Dropbox is criminally negligent not to warn its customer base about it. The simplest explanation is that either the Dropbox site or the Dropbox app has been compromised; either the Dropbox access page contains a phishing program, or the link to it has been modified so that it downloads a phishing program. If neither the app nor the website are the real origin of the phishing file, then one needs to postulate a Mac process which would hijack specifically the link between the Dropbox app and the Dropbox website, on various computer systems, and nothing else that Avast can see. I am not a tech person, but logically I don't quite understand how this turkey can fly without the dropbox local app being involved in some way.

And whatever the solution, I don't see why we should turn Avast off so as to bypass the warning. Avast flags a phishing program, which is not something to be taken lightly. I am willing not to jump to conclusions only if Dropbox offers another suggestion. But the answer given to Debby M. as per her post above is beyond dumb. We are supposed not to block our computer from downloading a flagged phishing program? Seriously??? That's not support, that's sabotage...

I will give Dropbox another 48 hours. But if nothing happens, I will just erase my account and go to some other cloud service. With regret, because it was a nice little app.

flomaka
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi plg, you may find this is sorted now. I've been following this thread since my whole company is having the same problem - all at the same time! Doesn't differentiate between Mac or PC, or what kind of antivirus software - none of us could open the dropbox online from the app without getting a phishing warning. So I just checked and it's back to normal without getting scooped up as a phishing attempt by AVG.

My guess is Dropbox have had a very stressful weekend/Monday scrambling to fix this issue. 

irobot
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Resolved the problem. I found a quick and easy solution. Remove Avast. Everything went back to work very well. If anyone knows which antivirus works well with Dropbox, please let me know. Thank you.
Need more support?