cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avast blocks opening Dropbox Web site from the application

Avast blocks opening Dropbox Web site from the application

faustino1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Avast notificationAvast notificationWhen trying to launch the Dropbox Web site, from the icon of the application, Avast blocks it identifying it as phising (see attached image).

It happens also when trying to reach Dropbox from the links ("Share..","Version History", etc.) of a file in the local folder.

Reinstalling Dropbox, or unlinking/linking to the account, does not solve it.

(Otherwise, there is no problem when opening the Dropbox web site by login in the web browser.)

I am using macOs Catalina and Chrome.

53 Replies 53

DB_User31
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same problem on my MAC.   I contacted Avast. Their conclusion is that the link Dropbox provides in the app is a malicious link.  They assured me that my computer is fine and I should use my browser, instead of the link, to access Dropbox.com.  They also advised me to contact Dropbox.  Which I tried, but they do not have phone support - just that ridiculous bot.  All it did was arrange for an e-mail contact which could take up to 72 hours.  That is not what I would call quality customer support!

dhkirk
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am getting the same from Avast, on Mac Catalina 10.15.1

Only started two days, possibly with installation of 10.15.1Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 12.41.55 PM.png

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

"Is this a phishing file in the dropbox app? Is it a false warning by Avast?"

It's a false positive. That file isn't from the Dropbox website. When you use the icon in the Dropbox app to visit the website, the app directs you to a locally generated HMTL file which then redirects to the Dropbox website. That's the HTML file you're seeing in the screenshot above.

AtoW
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So what's the solution?

schimpn
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

same issue ..

need a solution 

UEBT
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

same issue here...

Debby M.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

SFirstly - huge relief that this is not just me.

Dropbox - ANSWER NOW PLEASE!!

Arpostudio
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same Problem!!

But also, all my files and folders are deleted!!

HELP

Beobrand
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Another request for a solution...

Richard L.65
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Monday 11-4-2019. I have the same exact problem.  I am using Avast antivirus and it gives tme the same exact issue. If this is a new Dropbox cookie you need to clear it or let tus know to ignore it asap.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Fiona Dropbox Staff
    Debby M. Collaborator | Level 10
    plg Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?