cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avid Media Composer Sharing Projects, Project window out of order

Avid Media Composer Sharing Projects, Project window out of order

alburn
New member | Level 2

I love dropbox for storing my projects for Avid Media Composer. MediaComposer projects are many small files that only update when you open and save them. In my finder a project looks like this:

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 17.16.16.png

Inside the folders are .avb files that the program opens wich contain metadata on clips and sequences.

The problem happens when I share the Avid Project (in the above case, "HSDA Alburn" is the project)with other dropbox users, within Avid MediaComposer itself, the folders and bins appear out of order.

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 17.21.14.png

In the screen grab of the Project window from Avid Media Composer, you can see that the folders "02 Groups","06 Music", and "06 SFX" appear out of alphabetical order.  On other forums, I read about deleting a ".$icon" file that's usually hidden from view. But when I tried, it immediately re-populated.

Hopefully someone at the dropbox team can download a trial of media composer or talk to another Avid Media Composer User and fix it.

ps. I would pay for some way to use dropbox to emulate Nexis style Avid Project sharing. Thank you, still love the product, just an annoying bug.

1 Reply 1

Re: Avid Media Composer Sharing Projects, Project window out of order

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @alburn; welcome to the Dropbox Community and happy Friday!

@alburn wrote:

The problem happens when I share the Avid Project (in the above case, "HSDA Alburn" is the project)with other dropbox users, within Avid MediaComposer itself, the folders and bins appear out of order.

Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 17.21.14.png

In the screen grab of the Project window from Avid Media Composer, you can see that the folders "02 Groups","06 Music", and "06 SFX" appear out of alphabetical order.  On other forums, I read about deleting a ".$icon" file that's usually hidden from view. But when I tried, it immediately re-populated.

Based on your description and the screenshot you provided, I think that the whole issue lies within the 3rd party app you're using since it's their interface that shows this sorting discrepancy. Therefore, I'd suggest reaching out to them directly for further assistance. 

Even though I can't help much with this, I'd suggest re-installing the app in question as this might do the trick for you. Otherwise, you'll need to log a bug report with this 3rd party app about your sorting preferences not sticking within their interface. 

Keep me posted on your progress! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?