cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back Ups When Using Smart Sync

Back Ups When Using Smart Sync

Rick A.3
New member | Level 2

I do not currently use Smart Sync but I am considering trying it.  I currently back up my entire PC using Acronis to both internal and external drives.  If I use Smart Sync, Acronis will not back up my pictures and music along with my other folders that I have on Dropbox because they are not on my PC is that correct?

I guess I don't like the idea of having years of pictures and videos in one place without having local backups.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Back Ups When Using Smart Sync

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hello @Rick A.3, I hope you're having a good day so far!

If your files are synced in the Dropbox folder as "online only" with Smart Sync, then the only a placeholder for the file is present on your local computer. 

Most likely the backup service will just make a copy the placeholder and not the actual file, or it may even cause the files to be downloaded locally when running the backup process if it tries to access the file.

I hope this info helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: Back Ups When Using Smart Sync

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hello @Rick A.3, I hope you're having a good day so far!

If your files are synced in the Dropbox folder as "online only" with Smart Sync, then the only a placeholder for the file is present on your local computer. 

Most likely the backup service will just make a copy the placeholder and not the actual file, or it may even cause the files to be downloaded locally when running the backup process if it tries to access the file.

I hope this info helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?