cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Back up whole DropBox to another Cloud Service or Hard Drive?

Back up whole DropBox to another Cloud Service or Hard Drive?

Scuta S.
New member | Level 1

I run a MacBook Air with a small SSD drive.  So I selective sync my data when I need it - therefore not all my Dropbox is on my computer.  I need to back up the entire Dropbox account.  I have tried to Download All when selecting all the folders in the Browser version of Dropbox.  This does not work as it does not ask me where I would like to download a ZIP to?  Any help please for a simple solution?

9 Replies 9

Aarón__
Dropboxer

Hi Scuta,

What I'd recommend in this case would be downloading all your Dropbox files to your computer using the Dropbox desktop application and then back them up to your preferred device.

Also, do you know about the Extended Version History feature? If you enable Extended Version History on your account, you can forget about file backups since we'll save deleted and modified versions of your files for up to 1 year! 

**What is Extended Version History?**

https://www.dropbox.com/help/113

I hope this helps!

Scuta S.
New member | Level 1

Thanks Aarón.  Sadly I can't do that as my hard drive is too small.  Any other thoughts?

Aarón__
Dropboxer

If you have many files in your Dropbox, downloading them all from the Dropbox website wouldn't be an option we currently support, but even if that'd be possible, you would still need enough space in your hard drive to download and store them all.

Did you already try selectively syncing one folder at a time? That will allow you to download a folder, bak it up, and them remove it again using Selective Sync.

Scuta S.
New member | Level 1

If I was able to specify an external hard drive it would be the perfect option to download them all and save them there.

I have too many folders and too little time to do them all individually unortuantely on an ongoing basis.

Aarón__
Dropboxer

Did you already try moving your Dropbox folder to another location with more space available?

**How do I move my Dropbox folder to a new location?**

https://www.dropbox.com/help/89

Rich
Super User II

One third-party solution (completely unsupported by Dropbox) is https://mover.io/.

steph g.
New member | Level 2

This was my exact question. Since my computer's hard drive is too small, I have lots of files and folders toggled off with selective sync. But now that I need those files, there's no way to get them since there isn't sufficient space on my internal drive. 

Dropbox, there definitely needs to be a better solution to this. Toggling selective sync on and off for every individual folder is a rather inelegant workaround to this problem. With more people using laptops with SSD drives that are smaller than the amount of available space on Dropbox, this will crop up more and more. It would be great if there was a "download these files to a different drive" option.

For the commenters above, this is the solution I found that seems the most viable: https://approductive.wordpress.com/2015/02/23/the-ideal-dropbox-setup-for-external-hard-drives/

Rich
Super User II

Remember that Dropbox does not support external, networked or removable drives. Under the right conditions data loss can occur.

steph g.
New member | Level 2

Right, but I'm saying that I wish it would. There's not a great solution to retrieving your data if everything is "selectively sync'd" to an internal hard drive that is smaller than your dropbox. 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?