cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Background activity iOS

Background activity iOS from the mobile app.

AndyVRD
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

Just notice that Dropbox keeps active in the background on iOS, even if i disable it in the settings from iOS. After some testing I found the problem, the integration with the files app causes this problem. If I disable Dropbox within the files app there is no longer background activity from Dropbox. Hope this can be fixed soon because it drains my battery.

109 Replies 109

Graham B.7
New member | Level 2
Same issue again and still not resolved. Regretting coming back to Dropbox.

I fail to see how any bug cannot be fixed after several years of existence, assuming they actually make the effort.

I have paid for a service that I have to turn off on my iOS devices. Pretty poor.

koaaa
New member | Level 2

Yes, I shut off Dropbox only in my Files connection and immediately the issue stopped. *sigh*

Carlajo713
Explorer | Level 4
I’m also having this issue. I have background app refresh turned off yet when I go to Dropbox in settings it is on but greyed out. I can not toggle it off. I do not have photo sync on. I have deleted and reinstalled the app with no luck. I had a fully charged iPad Pro on Tuesday. Total screen time was 16 minutes. 1% when I turned it on today. Only thing was Dropbox background activity listed. This needs fixed ASAP. I also use one drive and google. Neither have any batter my drain.

TheMG
Helpful | Level 6

@Carlajo713 Take a look at the other replies.  You're trying to turn off the wrong setting.  Well it wont hurt anything but thats not the one that fixes this issue.  The setting you need to change is in the files app itself not in settings.

Carlajo713
Explorer | Level 4

@TheMG  I did turn it off, thanks!  I just wanted to make sure that Dropbox knew that this was a HUGE issue.  Shouldn't be able to override my setting as it clearly is.  Nor should it use as many resources being included in files when other apps are not.  

But thank you!  

Che
Explorer | Level 4
Dropbox claim that new iOS app update solve the problem. Anyone tested already?

MikeTheBohunk
Helpful | Level 6
I’ll give it a try and let you all know.

MikeTheBohunk
Helpful | Level 6

So far so good, it seems. This is pretty much what we want while we’re asleep, right? 

MikeTheBohunk_0-1615512472582.jpeg

So, even though it took incredibly long, a sincere “thank you” to whoever is responsible for the fix. 

Vukodlak75
Explorer | Level 3

It does seem like it is fixed. I have no issues so far. Finally

thanks

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey everyone, if you haven't already, make sure that you don't have any pending iOS updates left and check again. 

Give us a shout if the issue persists. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?