cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background activity iOS from the mobile app.

Background activity iOS from the mobile app.

AndyVRD
Helpful | Level 5

Hi,

Just notice that Dropbox keeps active in the background on iOS, even if i disable it in the settings from iOS. After some testing I found the problem, the integration with the files app causes this problem. If I disable Dropbox within the files app there is no longer background activity from Dropbox. Hope this can be fixed soon because it drains my battery.

109 Replies 109

TheMG
Helpful | Level 6

Unfortunately, this went on for about 2-3 weeks and even after disabling it, my battery life is definitely MUCH better, but it FRIED my battery.  My battery now only lasts about half the day when it used to last the entire day.

Maybe it's time to get a class action lawsuit started? (Especially since Dropbox won't even respond. Or are they not responding because they know this is about to turn into a lawsuit?)

khcole
Helpful | Level 6

I'm not seeing an issue with LinkedIn.  My last 10 days was just 1h 22m.

batterydrain
New member | Level 2
still not resolved.. I guess its time to uninstall dropbox and switch to another solution.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi everyone, thanks for keeping us in the loop and for all your reports on this. 

If you haven't already, please have a look at Daphne's post, here

In any case, you can always contact our Support team to have a more in-depth look, since they're able to better assist you using the internal tools that they have.

Once you do that, you can let us know the ticket ID (eg. #1234567) associated so that we can pass your comments from here along. 

If you have any trouble creating a ticket, just give us a nudge on this thread, and we'll be more than happy to send one to you. 

Thanks again!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TheMG
Helpful | Level 6

Her reply acknowledges it being a known issue in AUGUST (August 28th) and we are now nearly halfway through November.  So we have had no updates or resolution nearly two and a half months later, on a bug that is physically destroying hardware.  

The fix also only benefits those who have found this thread and not the likley hundreds of thousands of others who are not aware of the issue or this thread.

FWIW LinkedIn has seemed to fix the issue a long time ago so maybe you can give them a ring and ask them how.

hayjood
Explorer | Level 3

I am facing the same issue as well.  Once I enable dropbox with files integration, battery life on my ipad just keeps draining!

Ralphcz
New member | Level 2

I just found this thread and want to add my two cents to this conversation. I have an iPad Pro 10.5 circa 2017 and it's an excellent device. Recently I noticed that the battery was appearing to not hold a charge and assumed it was because of the battery. A bit of research showed that Dropbox has been running in the background: in the past 10 days, I used Dropbox for 7 minutes, but it ran for 105 hours and 33 minutes in the background. I've tried to shut off the use of the background by Dropbox, but have yet to figure it out. It's a problem I could use some help with.....

Ralph

dineshatdragon
New member | Level 2
I was googling for this issue and was lucky to find this discussion. I have exactly same problem with iPhone 12 and iOS 14.2. Even after turning background app refresh off Dropbox continues to run in background. I have camera upload turned off and seldom I used drop box. In the end I decided to uninstall the app from iPhone until a fix is available

Alanl33
Explorer | Level 4
I have the same problem 99 hours in the last 10 days. 5 hours today. I’ve now disabled Dropbox in Apple’s file manager. Running iOS 14 on iPad on 12.9 iPad Pro 2020. I was wondering why my battery was draining so quickly.

Kobaitsari
Explorer | Level 4

I have the same problem. On my iPhone SE 2 and iPad Air 4, Dropbox simply destroys the battery if I keep it open in the Files App.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Jaeyeok New member | Level 2
    kim_take Explorer | Level 3
    Ccurrie New member | Level 2
    TheMG Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?