cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup entire Dropbox to Synology NAS (shared folders above root folder)

Backup entire Dropbox to Synology NAS (shared folders above root folder)

Chris70
New member | Level 2

Hello,
I am a Dropbox business user and try to backup my entire Dropbox folder to a Synology NAS.
As I understood so far, the official option to do this would be to use the App "Cloud Synch" from Synology. The problem with this option for me is, that i cannot backup folders that are shared at the same level like on the root level.

For clarification there is the following folder hierarchy in my Dropbox:
Root:
- Folder A
- Folder B (shared)
- Folder C (shared)

The moment I am using the Cloud Synch App and select the root folder of this user I can only backup the Folder A. Folder B + Folder C are not even shown in the selection and therefore not saved.

Nevertheless, the structure at the parent level is necessary in order to give one group (permanent team) access to all subfolders that are created whereas another user group (temporary team) only access to certain subfolders.

The requirements for the backup would be to be performed on a regular basis (daily or weekly, no real-time backup is necessary) and paid third-party applications would be also a possibility for me if this won’t be possible with the standard Dropbox or Synology Apps.

Or is there a certain setting I can change in Dropbox, so that shared folders are also shown in the root folder.
Would be really thankful for any recommendations.
Best
Christopher

3 Replies 3

Re: Backup entire Dropbox to Synology NAS (shared folders above root folder)

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @Chris70; welcome to our Community and thanks for using Dropbox!

I'll be glad to look into this for you; I'll just need some clarifications first:

1. Are you an admin of a Dropbox for Business Team account or a member?

2. In the folder structure you mentioned, are you referring to team folders or shared folders perhaps? 

3. Is your team on the old team structure or the new one (the team space)?

If you could also share some screenshots so we can have a visual too, I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks a bunch Christopher. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Chris71
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter,

thanks for your additional questions:

1. I am an admin of a Dropbox for Business Team account. 

2. I think the folder i would like to backup (eg Folder B) is a Teams forlder (it has a blue folder symbol with a small house on the folder)

3. I checked the link you send to check for the old/new structure. To be honest i am not 100% sure. If i go to Settings -> "early access" i can not see that i can update to a new team space. I could update for new picture recognition only.

In general, I have currently a pink folder with my name and a small person symbol and the additional two blue folders (with a small house icon) like mentioned in the response for the 2n question. The two blue folder (with the small house icons) should be backuped to a Synology NAS but only all folders inside the Pink Folder are backuped

Thanks for your help.

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me with all this info @Chris71 (I guess you're the same as @Chris70 and logged from another account of yours). 

Your clarifications really helped clear this up for me!

To clarify matters, yes, you're correct this is a team folder (the building icon helps distinguish those) and since you're seeing the pink (or purple for some) folder, it means you're on the new team account structure; i.e. the team workspace. 

As per your original concern, I'm afraid this is a known limitation for teams on the new structure and you can read more information about it in the following discussion:

I know it's not exactly the answer you were looking for, but I sure hope this sheds some additional light Chris. 

Have a wonderful weekend ahead and please keep me posted if you come up with any additional questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?