cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup synced to wrong account

Backup synced to wrong account

Mels1984
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there, I've upgraded to a paid account and have downloaded the Dropbox app to my Macbook. I've linked my personal account and work account, and set up backups. 

All seems to be working fine and appears to have synced up.

However, the backups seem to be syncing to my personal account and I'd like them to sync to my work account. I can't seem to figure out how to change this, can anyone help please?

Many thanks

8 Replies 8

Re: Backup synced to wrong account

Lusil
Dropboxer
Hi there @Mels1984, thanks for posting your question here.

Generally, when you set up your computer backup and you have your accounts linked, you'll be given the option to choose which one you want your folders to be added to. 

You can find this information in this article.

Do you remember by any chance if you were given such an option?

Give me a nudge whenever you have a moment to look through this. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mels1984
Explorer | Level 3

Hi there Lusil,

Thanks so much for your help!

I don't recall having this option. I was actually following the guide that you've sent. Initially, the 'Set Up' option wasn't showing as I was backing up to iCloud. So I followed Apple's instructions for that, and once I disconnected those backups and then adjusted the admin settings on Dropbox, I was able to see the 'Set Up' tab but it appears to have automatically associated with the account I was using at the time.

They're linked and both were logged in, but I switched to view the work folders after setting up backups, so I assume that I was using the personal account at the time I set it up and it backed up to that.

Is it possible to switch backups to the other account now that they're syncing?

Many thanks 

Daphne
Dropboxer
There isn't currently a way to directly switch the account that the backup is syncing to, so I could suggest trying to disable the backup and then try setting it up again to see if you can choose the personal account this time @Mels1984.

Please just note, when you disable the backup with the steps outlined at the bottom of this article, to choose to keep the files on the computer rather than in Dropbox.

Also, please allow the app to fully sync the changes before trying to setup the backup again.

Let me know if that does the trick!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Mels1984
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

Thanks so much! I managed to successfully disable and chose to keep the files on my computer. However, when I set the backup back up it didn't ask me where I wanted to back them up to and proceeded to choose my personal account again, rather than my work account where I wanted them saved. 

So I disabled the backup again and unlinked the accounts in hopes that I could set the backup to my work account - now being the only one that is logged in - and then link them after. However, now 'Set Up' for backups no longer shows.

I'm the only admin and I've switched the 'Smart Sync update for Mac' and 'Dropbox system extension' to on for both. 

Any further advice would be much-appreciated @Daphne! Many thanks 

Daphne
Dropboxer
Hmmm, in this case, it sounds like the backup feature might be disabled in the team settings @Mels1984.

Since you mentioned that you're the admin of the team, can you check out the settings mentioned at the bottom of the backup article and see if it's enabled there?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Mels1984
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne. I've followed the instructions at the bottom of the article, however I don't have any access to any settings under the Admin Console (I can only change the name or add team members) - it's telling me to upgrade to Dropbox for Business for more options (I have Dropbox Plus). 

When I add my personal free account 'Set Up' automatically appears in the backup tab, so I'm not sure what's happening as they have the same options selected within the settings.

Can you recommend any other ways to troubleshoot this?

Many thanks 

Mels1984
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Daphne and @Lusil, could you offer any more help on this please?

Lusil
Dropboxer
Sorry for the late reply, @Mels1984

If you don't have access to the admin console and it's asking you to upgrade to a paid subscription of a Business team, it sounds like you are part of a free team. 

You can check that by going to your Plan tab online. 

In this case, you won't be able to set up your computer backup folders to be a part of that account. 

I know this might not be the ideal reply you were looking for, but let me know if you have any other questions. Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?