cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth Hogging

rnbwpnt
Helpful | Level 6

Linux Mint 20.1, Dropbox daemon 123.3.4825, cli version 2020.03.04, downloaded today

I'm trying to sync a DB folder that runs to about 500g. I have TWO other installations of this folder, one on a Mac, one on another Linux box, connected by CAT6 on the LAN. LAN sync is ENABLED, and the other two machines are up to date.

Yet, this new install is hogging my bandwidth so badly that even DNS lookups on any machine fail, communication timeouts and failures are common, connections break, etc. I can't get anything at all done if it involves connections over the wire.

It appears, by the time remaining indicator (about 40 hours) that it's downloading the folder from the sky, not from localnet. The only solution I've found is to turn on the bandwidth throttle, but that obviously slows down the load even more.

Selective Sync is NOT the right solution here. For reasons, I need the whole folder on localhost. I have it moved onto a drive with plenty of space; this is a speed issue, not a space issue.

What's the deal here? It shouldn't take 40+ hours to load 500g over a gigabit pipe.

1 Reply 1

Re: Bandwidth Hogging

Walter
Dropboxer
Hi there @rnbwpnt, thanks for posting on our Community and happy Monday!

It seems like you're on the beta version of our desktop app which can show some inconsistencies from time to time as those builds are still on the testing phase and considered to be experimental. 

Just to make sure that this isn't the cause of the issue, can you check if you get any different results when using our latest stable version of the desktop app? 

To do so, first toggle off the 'early releases' from your account's settings online and then download and install the app from this page

Let me know how it goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?