cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Screen of Stoopid after App Installation

Black Screen of Stoopid after App Installation

Robert D.39
Explorer | Level 3

I'm in need of assistance.  I have Dropbox installed on 4 of my computers at home (3 Win10, 1 Ubuntu).  I started getting the Black screen on my Desktop.  No matter what I try (or support has suggested), I am unable to rid myself of this problem.  Support believes this to be a network (SSL) traffic blocking problem.  However, I think it's a graphics issue since my mouse pointer changes when hovering over certain parts of the black screen.  All attempts to resolve the problem has failed so far.

Here is what I tried so far:

Uninstalled / Re-installed the app (Downloaded a fresh copy from the website multiple times)

Disabled (and eventually uninstalled) antivirus

Turned off Windows Firewall

Used my mobile as a hotspot to connect Desktop to the internet (even though 3 other PCs in the house work correctly)

Disabled WiFi and connected a network cable to the PC

Chkdsk on C Drive (no errors)

Sfc /scannow (repaired on first run, subsequent runs show clean result)

Dism scanhealth / checkhealth (clean)

Checked event viewer for errors

Installed discrete graphics card (previous was Intel onboard)

Installed app and ran as a different admin-level user account

Placed a Dropbox shortcut on the Desktop and configured it to run with 256 color in Windows Compatability mode

Any suggestions are appreciated!  The PC is running Win10 Home v2004

-Robert

14 Replies 14

Re: Black Screen of Stoopid after App Installation

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Robert D.39, thanks for posting today!

The Dropbox desktop application can use a web interface in the area of the black screen, so there seems to be an interruption in the connection to Dropbox itself. Virtual machines, remote access and not using 32 bit color can cause this as well.

Is the entire screen black, the whole Dropbox app, or just a part of it? Are you able to access the Preferences? What about if you hold the Ctrl key and click the Dropbox system tray icon, to then view the proxy settings?

Any other info or screenshots would be helpful!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Robert D.39
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Jay

To answer your questions:

Only the Dropbox screens are black (the application screen itself, and the system tray pop-up menu).  However, when I pressed the Ctrl key and clicked on the Dropbox system tray icon, I was able to see and access the proxy settings.

Here's a screenshot of the Dropbox app black screen, as well as the proxy settings window:

Dropbox app and preferences.PNG

Here's an image of the system tray pop-up menu:

Dropbox System Tray.PNG

I do have remote access software installed on the PC (RemotePC).  However, even after uninstalling the software, it did not resolve the black screen issue:

RemotePC Details.PNG

Let me know if you need any additonal screen shots.

-Robert

Jay
Dropboxer
Could you try switching the proxy to 'Auto-detect' to see if this helps?

Do you have a custom desktop theme on the machine? I'm asking because the app interface appears look like an older version version of Windows, instead of the normal Windows 10 buttons and dropdown options.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Robert D.39
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Jay 

Sorry for the delayed response.  I changed the theme, as well as the auto proxy but neither helped.

I ended up performing a P2V on the system, and imported the disk into VirtualBox.  Thankfully I was able to replicate the issue within the VM.  I took snapshots and tried all sorts of things (changing drivers, uninstalling programs, dism, sfc /scannow, chkdsk), but nothing helped.  I might try re-installing Windows to see if that has any impact.

If you have any other ideas to try, lemme know!

Jay
Dropboxer
Just to clarify, you're definitely not running the original version of Dropbox in your first post within a virtual machine or remote login?

Does this issue occur on another machine on your network, or another computer profile on the same machine?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Robert D.39
Explorer | Level 3

@Jay,

I downloaded the full version from the website, and have been using that installer on both the physical system and the VM.

I have 3 other machines in my house that are running Dropbox without any issues (Linux and Win10).

With regards to this PC, I installed dropbox on the system using different user accounts, and the problem occurs with each user account.  So this appears to be a system-wide issue.

-Robert

Walter
Dropboxer

Sorry to be jumping in here, but do you happen to have multiple monitors connected to your computer Robert?

Can you also confirm that you're physically on the affected computer when this happens and not remotely accessing it?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Robert D.39
Explorer | Level 3

@Walter,

No worries, the more the merrier.  The system has one monitor connected to it (via VGA cable IIRC).

The system physically sits in my dining room, so all of the tests have been at the console, and not over remote session.  I just recently created and imported the disk image into Virtual Box so that I can perform crazier tests without wreaking havoc on the original PC.

-Robert

Walter
Dropboxer
And you're sure this is not caused by an antivirus or a firewall as well, Robert?

Are your computer's drivers up to date by the way?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Robert D.39 Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?