cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blank dialogs loading endlesssly on desktop app (Win10)

Blank dialogs loading endlesssly on desktop app (Win10)

hErbsDK
Explorer | Level 4

(Edit: Title Edited only)

Hi and stuff 😛

First a little quick intro: I've used Dropbox since it was "invented" more or less, and I've never had or have any issues with the basic functionalities. I've come to rely on it for many QoL things with inter-device sharing and so on. Love the product.

I'd been seeing a notification  on my desktop tray iconDropbox Icon Notification.png (see on the right). This has been there for months, but every time I clicked the icon and went to the tab it just said no notifications. The notification is (probably) of me having almost spent all my space, but I had cleared out some things I didn't need shared anymore. I say probably, because I haven't actually seen the notification in the dialog. Futhermore the "latest" tab in the tray icon dialog only showed a loading animation indefinetely .... which brings me to the actual issue at hand :D.

With the newest update it's the whole dialog that's loading indefinetely (see below). Syncing is still working fine, and that's really what it's all about, but it'd be nice to actually make use of some of the features in the desktop app.

Loading icon animation.png

Furthermore this is what happens when I double-click the icon:

Double Click of Tray Icon.png

Again - not really super useful with a blank window like that - hehe :). Modern art maybe?

I've been trying to search the interwebz for anyone with same issue, but my googling might be broken, 'cause I've not been able to phrase it so I found anything about this. I am sorry if this is referenced elsewhere, because I just didn't figure out the magic words to type in the search field :).

(I wanted to do a TLDR, but it sort of defeats the purpose of explaining everything)

App-version is listed as 97.4.467.

I think I've ranted enough now. Here's hoping that there's someone with the same issue. Thanks in advance

// hErbs

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Blank dialogs on installed desktop app (Win10)

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi again @hErbsDK; how are you today?

Since you were able to successfully install our desktop application in the newly created profile, that means that there may be some sort of misconfiguration, setting, policy, or permission restriction that is affecting the original profile.

I'm afraid this is outside the scope of what we can support so I'd recommend that you use the new profile from now on or that you contact either IT support or the customer support organization for your operating system.

That said, you might want to check (and quit or uninstall) your current profile for recently installed apps/programs that might be causing this. 

I know it's not much, but I hope this helps to some extent. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @hErbsDK; welcome to the Dropbox Community and sorry to hear you're having issues with our desktop app. 

I'm assuming that you're physically on the computer and not accessing it through a remote session of some sorts - right?

Since the content of those windows is usually fetched from the internet, could you check if there's an anitivirus, a firewall or even a VPN/proxy setting that could be causing this? 

You might also need to update the drivers on the computer.

Let me know  what you find! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

hErbsDK
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter,

Thank you for the welcome and answer. Apologies for not replying before now, but I honestly just remembered it today heh.

I have tried to look through the links you present, and also tried to find anything that would block, but I'm a bit rustier than I thought regarding setting these things up. Windows 10 has oversimplified their settings system/control panel, and as the "old" control panel is still there in the background, I'm never sure where I'm changing things.

Firewall seems to have the right programs set, although I can't locate the "DropboxUpdate.exe" on my harddisk, that is mentioned in the firewall help article. Also there's mentions of preferences in the Dropbox app, but as my dialog is blank I really don't have anywhere to access these preferences. Unless you have an alternate route to this? Perhaps there's an .ini-file somewhere?

I can't see anything in my antivirus settings that would block either, but I might not know where to look. I will look in to this further, and maybe try their support, if they have any experience with this particular situation. I will try and get back to that when concluding/marking answers for this thread.

Regarding drivers - I really doubt that drivers have anything to do with this situation, but if it would, what drivers would influence this sort of thing? And wouldn't they also cause issues with other softwares?

I will try and remember to check back here for any answers hehe =). Thanks in advance.

// hErbs

(Edit: Forgot to clarify where it was I couldn't find dropboxupdate.exe)

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info and keeping me in the loop @hErbsDK!

In cases like yours, we usually recommend that you install the latest version of the DisplayLink drivers from the following website in order to continue troubleshooting this issue:

Make sure to choose the correct version depending on the version of your Windows operating system, then go ahead and restart your computer. At this point you should be able to run the latest version of the Dropbox desktop application normally.

Let me know how it goes! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

hErbsDK
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the link, but what is it supposed to help with? I don't want to sound rude heh, but I've installed it, and all it does as far as I can see is add a tray icon that 1) has an option to show the version of the software, and 2) opens up the Windows multiple monitor setup - which I really don't need a tray icon to access hehe 🙂 ......

Anyhow .. it changed nothing about the issues I have. I still see only the loading animation in the dialog from tray icon, and completely blank dialogs when I double-click the tray icon.

And I guess since you didn't mention it, that it isn't possible to alter preferences through an ini-file? .. heh .. I've "lived" with this for a long time, and now that I finally got around to asking, I keep forgetting to check back, and also a bit hard, when it's not a matter of an "oh-I-know-what-this-is-here's-how-you-fix-it"-answer. No offense - I appreciate the effort. Just frustrating that all of a sudden nothing is showing. Anyways .. hope maybe you have some feedback.

// h

hErbsDK
Explorer | Level 4

@Walter- Sooooooooo .... I decided to try and reinstall. Been dreading that, 'cause I wasn't sure that I'd ever get to the configuration. Sadly I was right. It's just loading indefinetely. I have done _everything_ listed on support forums. Even got rid of left-over reg keys after uninstalling.

This is now what I see (GIF below) ......... I really wish I could contact someone directly about this, but I really don't have the need for more space, and can't afford much else than what "real life" demands, so changing plans isn't really an option just to get help with this one thing. I really hope I don't have to switch to a different service.

configuration loading.gif

Walter
Dropboxer

Thanks for sticking with me on this one @hErbsDK!

If you've performed an advanced reinstall and didn't help, the next step here would be to eliminate other factors so please create a new OS profile and try to install the desktop app there.

If you manage to install it normally there, then there must be some sort of mis-configuration on the OS profile you're currently using. 

Please let me know how you get on! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

hErbsDK
Explorer | Level 4

No worries @Walter 🙂 - any input is of great value. Everything experienced is available for future us to sort through when needed 🙂 (especially since everything is cached somewhere in some data center lol) ... but I digress - back to the topic at hand!

I tried another advanced reinstall - just to be sure. Wasn't much advanced about it though, 'cause the folders to delete were already deleted. It still didn't work on my default profile. I then tried as you asked to make a new profile, and "sadly" it worked on the new profile >.<. So there must be something in my default profile that's amiss.

I have no idea where to start, since a lot of my software is installed for all users. Also I guess it's now not really an issue with Dropbox per se, but if you do have an idea it'd be appreciated. If not - it's all good. I guess it could be an ok thing to make a new profile anyhow. Sort of a spring cleaning type thing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thanks for the ping pong anyhow 🙂

// h

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @hErbsDK, I just wanted to jump in here and check with you if, by any chance, you're on a Basic account and have more than three devices currently connected on your Security tab

Let us know what you find, thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

hErbsDK
Explorer | Level 4

Welcome to the fun, @Lusil 😃

I had three devices total on my list. I removed my iPad, 'cause it's been a while, since I used that, and I will just reconnect that some point. This device, my PC, is one of the connected devices, but it's been established that I can access all dialogs fine (and log in) on a different user profile. I'm just not too keen on having to get everything transferred to a different profile. This has taken some time already, and I don't want to overstay my welcome - since I'm just Basic, but I do hope there's a solution that doesn't invovle me having to either "reset" my windows installation, or move everything to a new profile.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?