cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blank login screen with re-install on Windows 10

Blank login screen with re-install on Windows 10

Howard R.1
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox app was giving intermittent OpenGL errors so I decided to do an uninstall-reinstall on my Windows 10 laptop. Upon reinstalling, the login screen is blank (i.e. content not rendering) and none of the solutions I have found in the community seem to work including an advanced install, updating graphics drivers, etc. How can I solve this so I can log into my account. Not sure if it's connected to the OpenGL issue but I suspect it may be.

13 Replies 13

Re: Blank login screen with re-install on Windows 10

Sanchez
Dropboxer

Hey, @Howard R.1, thanks for reaching out. 

What you’ve described can also be caused by anti-virus, firewall, or other security software preventing our app from connecting to our servers. If you haven’t already done so, I suggest that you disable any of the aforementioned apps, and give it another try. 

If you are on a Basic plan, you may also want to check your account’s Security page, and make sure that you don’t have more than 3 linked devices. 

Have a look, and let me know! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Howard R.1
Explorer | Level 3

I definitely don't have too many devices linked. Security software is hard to check as my employer sets those, but this doesn't seem to make sense as the explanation as Dropbox was connected previously. All I did we remove the existing installation and then immediately reinstalled it. I suspect it is to do with the OpenGL error as this was causing the dropbox file window not to display properly and now the login window also doesn't display properly.

Sanchez
Dropboxer

I’ve been looking through older posts regarding OpenGL issues, and came across a suggestion here by @Wilson7777.

I checked a bit further online, and saw that it did the trick for some users. If you haven’t already done so, would you be able to give that a try, and let me know how it goes? 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Howard R.1
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks, but that seems specific to Dropbox + AlwaysUp, which I don't use. I have updated all graphics drivers and tried some other OpenGL fixes recommened online, but problem persists. Also interesting that dropbox runs fine on a second computer with same antivirus and security software implimented by my employer.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hey @Howard R.1!

Do you happen to be connecting via a proxy at all? If so, please take a look at this article to see if the suggestions there help at all.

Otherwise, are you on a virtual machine or a remote session?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Howard R.1
Explorer | Level 3

Proxy is set for auto-detect. I did manage to link to my account following a suggestion I found about re-launching dropbox while the blank login window is open. I can see my dropbox files synched through file explorer but the OpenGL error persists and I cannot see any dropbox windows nor file content by clicking on the dropbox icon itself in the system tray. It also crashes the entire app sometimes when the error comes up. As I said, I have updated video drivers.

OpenGL error (2).jpg

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking on that @Howard R.1.

Can you try the offline installer from here, to see if that helps with the OpenGL error that you're getting?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Howard R.1
Explorer | Level 3

This is what worked for me to deal with the blank login screen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK_KCxJaTpk

I had also done an full uninstall and then an offline reinstall, so it's possible that the combination of the two was necessary but I don't know. My OpenGL problem persists however.

This is how I resolved the issue of Dropbox Login Blank Screen. More here: https://techempty.org/?p=510 - Follow these steps exactly as showing in this tutor...

nano2
Helpful | Level 6

@Howard R.1 wrote:

This is what worked for me to deal with the blank login screen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK_KCxJaTpk

I had also done an full uninstall and then an offline reinstall, so it's possible that the combination of the two was necessary but I don't know. My OpenGL problem persists however.

Thanks a lot for prompt response @Howard R.1 - yes I did try doing what was shown in that video (installing, logging in to Dropbox site in browser, clicking into system tray and leaving blank window open then clicking into system tray again) but unfortunately no joy - I still get the blank login box.

Have raised a ticket with support but they keep asking me over and over again if I have turned off antivirus... still stuck!

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?