cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Blue Screen of Death on Win10

Blue Screen of Death on Win10

FadedPoppy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Good morning.

Apologies for the very vague question.  We are running Dropbox on 2 Win10 PCs.  One runs absolutely fine but, on the other, it will run for maybe 30 seconds and then cause the PC to crash with a Blue Screen of Death.

Could you provide any advice on how I can go about determining what the conflict is that causes this to occur please?

If it's any help, Dropbox will not launch automatically on that PC - it must always be executed manually even though it's setup to launch on Computer start in the Dropbox settings.

Without Dropbox running the PC runs perfectly.

There are a great deal of applications installed on that PC so I'm reluctant to wipe & reinstall everything if there's a solution out there that doesn't require doing so.

This PC also experiences the issue of the browser not refreshing as described in this post here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Missing-files-folders/Webpage-folder-not-refresh/m-p/322934#M15542.  Chrome auto updates so that shouldn't be the issue.  I'll follow the other suggestions in that post to see if I can resolve that issue.  It seems strange, and probably just coincidence, that this one PC suffers from these two problems but it may be useful for you to know.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Jason.

117 Replies 117

Shane_Spencer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am on Symantec. I have my concerns on if it will be possible to outdate, as I work for a global organisation and this software is controlled by the IT department. Whereas Dropbox I was able to install myself.

symantec.PNG

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me here @Shane_Spencer!

In this case, I can only recommend reaching out to your IT department to see if they will be able to update Symantec for your company.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help with this. Please do let me know if you have any other questions though, I'd be happy to help where I can.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Not applicable
Go to solution
It’s also a problem with Windows and MS are working on a fix. it’s not DB in general!

dvirreznik
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Daphne,

I'm also experiencing the same issue, on my work laptop (ThinkPad X260). 

The SEP on my laptop is 14.2, but that's managed through Corporate IT and I cannot update it manually. Is there a workaround to this issue? I have an open ticket with your Support team, ending ####5201.

Thanks,

Dvir.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dvirreznik, thank for joining the discussion!

If you're not able to update the Symantec Enpoint Protection then I'm afraid there isn't much I can suggest here. If you haven't already, I'd recommend speaking to your IT department about updating the software.

If they have any questions or issues with doing so, as I understand that they might have their own reasons for not updating to this version, then they can reach out to Symantec directly for further assistance.

Sorry that I can't be of much more help here, but please do let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Susanre
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I switched to google drive last week. Same functionality, same price, and doesn’t blue screen my computer. Hope this helps a few people here.

GimpyBoy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Daphne

Same issue here on a corporate laptop. We are using Cylance Protect 2.0.1530.14. I also have McAfee Agent 5.6.2.209. Windows Enterprise 10.0.17763 on an HP Elitebook 840 G5.

The problem started last week after a new file was synced from another computer. I think the file became corrupted. Had to completely uninstall and reinstall DB. Deleted the old sync folder on my computer and resynced everything from the cloud. Worked fine until today.

When an new file was synced from a shared folder the BSoD returned. Have uninstalled and reinstalled again. Scared to sync with cloud as I need this computer for calls tomorrow. The issue appears to be that DB does not play well with other software. When will a fix be ready?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for joining us here @GimpyBoy.

The issue is most likely due to the temporary files that are created during the syncing process being picked up and quarantined by the antivirus software by mistake. 

If possible, I'd recommend ensuring that Dropbox is whitelisted in your antivirus softwares. Otherwise, I'd have to suggest reaching out to our Support team to look further into this with you.

Hope this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?