cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new Dropbox account stuck on syncing

Brand new Dropbox account stuck on syncing

Domscillator
Explorer | Level 4

Hello everyone,

Long-time Google Drive user here trying Dropbox after almost 8 years as I consider switching. 

After a long process of pulling down all the files from Google Drive, today I started syncing Dropbox, brand new installation, nothing else installed, no previous Dropbox Account (Macbook Pro High Sierra). 

Let me start by saying I am a power user and definitely not a novice on computers. 

The issue that I have is that while Dropbox is syncing it gets stuck into a situation where it says : "Syncing 62120 files: 1sec" and it just gets stuck there. Sometimes it goes into the "Connecting..." state briefly and then it goes back to the endless syncing with no real files getting synced. 

I've already tried these troubleshooting steps:

1. Quitting and relauncing

2. Re-installing

3. Running all the commands in terminal and re-launching

4. Restarting the Macbook 

Nothing worked. Most of the times, it starts syncing a few more files, then it stops again.

I was quite surprised to find that this problem has been reported by so many users on the forums but with no concrete answer. 

So my question is, is this normal? and is there a good solution or even better, explanation why this is happening? I am running a 2019 Macbook Pro with no Antivirus, 150mbps connection and Google Drive was working perfectly (although it had some features missing that I was hoping to find in Dropbox). 

At the moment, I have a free month to trial Dropbox and I'm keeping Google Drive on the side. 

I am happy to try and give this a go but I am not going to go through days of troubleshooting, I'll just stick with Google Drive if that's the case. 

So far really bad impression but hopefully I can get some help here as the problem seems quite common. 

Thanks a lot in advance and Happy New Year!

5 Replies 5

Re: Brand new Dropbox account stuck on syncing

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi @Domscillator, thanks for reaching out to us here!

There are a few reasons that you could be experiencing this issue, can you just try the following steps to see if this does the trick:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the "Account" tab.
  5. While holding the Option/Alt key, click "Fix Hardlinks".

If this doesn't resolve the issue, please follow the steps again and instead click "Fix permissions". The app might need to sync for a while after doing this, so please just keep an eye out for any progress.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Domscillator
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

Thanks so much for the quick response!

This seems to have worked-however, one thing concerns me: even though the syncing process has stopped the reported used space on the Dropbox website is quite different to what the actual size of the folder is locally (and I've synced all the folders for sure).

Dropbox reports 176gb being used where my local folder size is 189gb. Any idea why this might be? Should I be concerned?

Many thanks!

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @Domscillator!

I'm very glad to hear those steps fixed your syncing issue. :grin:

For the local Dropbox folder size though, I'm wondering if this is due to the cache folder. This folder holds temporary files needed for syncing and is emptied every few days.

If your desktop app is showing "Up to date", can you try manually clearing the cache folder with the steps listed here?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Domscillator
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne, 

I checked and my cache is around 10mb. Not sure where the rest 10GB are. 

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking that @Domscillator!

I'd just like to ask you a few more things here, please let me know what you find for the following:

• If you show hidden files within the cache folder, do you see the rest of the 10 GB stored there?
  • What does the sync status show? Please send a screenshot of this.

Let me know what you find!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    Domscillator Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?