cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug? Difficult to double-click Dropbox icon due to window positioning

Bug? Difficult to double-click Dropbox icon due to window positioning

Edwards2718
New member | Level 2

I typically double-click the Dropbox icon on the lower-right corner on Windows to open file explorer, but recent updates cause the first click to open the dropbox window, blocking half the icon and making it harder to double-click, see image below:

Untitled.png

You can still double-click, but you have to be very precise with your arrow pointer by clicking on the lower half of the icon.

5 Replies 5

Re: Bug? Difficult to double-click Dropbox icon due to window positioning

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hi there @Edwards2718, thanks for reaching out to us about this and for the screenshot - definitely gives a better understanding of what you're seeing. 

If you haven't already, could you try a simple reinstall of the desktop app?

To do this:

1. Make sure to save and quit all programs that access files in the Dropbox folder.
  2. Stop the Dropbox desktop app from running by clicking on the Dropbox icon next to your computer's clock, going to your avatar and selecting "Quit Dropbox".
  3. Uninstall Dropbox.
  4. Reboot your computer to make sure the uninstall is complete.
  5. Download and install the newest version of the desktop app.

Let me know the results!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jernau
New member | Level 2

You're lucky. Mine is completely obscured by that menu.

Why on earth do they keep forcing screens you need 0.000000001% of the time into or over the top of critical default behaviours?

Silly experience-hurting trash like this is why people look at alternative products. 

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Jernau, are you using autohide on your Windows taskbar?

The normal behavior is that the Dropbox window would appear above the taskbar, where the normal applications are viewable, so it shouldn’t obscure the taskbar itself.

Please keep us posted so we can investigate further, thanks!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Wedgetable
Explorer | Level 4

Another consequence of this problem is if you have your Dropbox icon in the hidden icons tray (where I keep most of mine), the window generated by a single click renders itself completely on top of the tray of icons and you can't get the second click of the double-click in.

Dropbox could fix this bug by positioning the window above the icon instead of above the taskbar. Other software is able to do this (Microsoft OneDrive, Google Backup & Sync), so Dropbox should be able to as well.

dropbox_hidden_icons_doubleclick.gif

Jay
Dropboxer

Thanks for the feedback, @Wedgetable, we’ve taken note of it in our system!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?