cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug in batch-exporting via iOS Share Extensions to Dropbox

Bug in batch-exporting via iOS Share Extensions to Dropbox

Snappy23
Explorer | Level 4

Possible bug in Dropbox’s integration in iOS Share Extensions (first seen in iOS 13): Open Pho­tos app (Cam­era Roll) on iPhone or iPad; se­lect 10-20 pho­tos; Export; Save to Files; se­lect Drop­box. Expected behavior: The selected files should be saved in Dropbox. Actual behavior: Either fewer photos are saved, or several copies of a few photos are saved. This issue also occurs in other apps and cloud storage services such as Google Drive. The problem may lie in iOS 13 or in Dropbox and other cloud storage apps’ integration with iOS share extensions sheet. Any ideas on how to export correctly?

5 Replies 5

Re: Bug in batch-exporting via iOS Share Extensions to Dropbox

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hello @Snappy23, thanks for sharing your findings with us here!

I wasn't able to replicate this on my side, so I'd just like to ask you for a few details to look into this further with you. Please let me know the following:

• The version of the Dropbox app you have installed (From Settings > General > iPhone/iPad storage > Dropbox)
  • The iOS version your device is running (From Settings > General > About)
  • Does this only occur when exporting 10+ photos from your Camera roll?
  • Are any of the files that don't transfer in a different format such as videos, live photos or portrait mode?

Let me know and we can go from there!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Snappy23
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for your questions. I am using the currently latest version 172.3.2 of Dropbox app on iPhone 8 running iOS 13.3.1. This happens when you select a large number of photos. I first experienced this issue when trying to export 80 photos from iOS Photos app to Dropbox, then also tried with fewer. The problem is more noticable when more files are selected. The files were all image files (JPG, PNG but no videos). I am also having this problem in bulk-exporting from Photos app via 'Save to Files' function to Google Drive.

I can also reproduce this issue on iPhone 6s.

Any other questions, please ask. Thank you very much.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for the info @Snappy23!

From what I could find, for your device the latest iOS version you can run on your device is iOS 13.4.1. Would you be able to update your OS to see if that helps?

Also, the latest version of the mobile app available is 186.2. Do you have any pending updates for the app in the App store?

It could be down to running older versions of your OS and the app that is causing this, so making sure you're all up to date could do the trick.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Snappy23
Explorer | Level 4
Hi Daphne

I updated iPhone 8 to the latest iOS version 13.4.1 but the issue persists. I exported 23 photos (JPG snd HEIC), and 64 files were saved in Dropbox - between one and four copies of each photo. Same results on iPhone 6s.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for trying the updates @Snappy23!

Hmmm. :thinking: Would you mind letting me know if the copies of the files that are made are exactly the same file by checking if the file sizes are the same for each copy? 

I'm wondering if this is has anything to do with filters applied on the files that could cause the export to result in the original file and a copy of the file with edits perhaps.

Also, are you running the same iOS version on your 6s? Did you perhaps set up your iPhone 8 from a back up of the 6s?

While we look into this, I might also suggest reaching out to Apple Support as you're having this issue with other locations within the Files app too.

In the meantime, to avoid the duplications I can suggest uploading the images directly from the Dropbox app. Once you open the app, tap the "+" button and choose "Upload photos" and select the images you need.

Since I wasn't able to replicate this on my side, the info you're providing is very helpful so thanks for sticking with me here!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?