cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Dropbox\Update\Install folder out of control

Explorer | Level 3

This folder is out of control wasting 20gig of space.

There are 185 downloads of DropboxClient_90.4.307.exe. It is downloading 22-33 times per day since Sunday. I updated manually to v90.4.307. I tried to delete these 185 folders but I get access denied. I tried closing Dropbox and stopping DbxSvc first but still access denied.

Image 1.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Dropbox\Update\Install folder out of control

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @raedan01!

When you have the time to, please try the steps to uninstall and reinstall the app. I'd be happy to look into this further with you, but at your convenience of course.

Your thread will remain open in the meantime so please feel free to get back to me here at any time with updates or questions on this.

I hope this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi there @raedan01, I hope you're well today!

It seems that something might have been preventing the auto-update of the desktop app.

Out of curiosity, do you happen to be using Boxifier at all? With this third party app, there is an option in the settings to block Dropbox updates.

For deleting this folder, the best method would be to uninstall the desktop app and then do a clean reinstall of the latest version. If you're having trouble uninstalling too, please check out the additional steps listed here.

During this process, you won't need to remove the Dropbox folder and its contents, so you won't need to resync your data. The app will just need to do a quick reindex of the files.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for the reply. After doing the manual install of the latest version and a reboot the files disappeared out of appdata. But now since then the following folder has 184 folders (20gig) with DropboxClient_91.4.548.exe: C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Update\Install. I don't use Boxifier, I only use the official Dropbox client. I haven't had time to look into this further or do an uninstall/reinstall. I appreciate the reply and I apologize for not replying myself until now.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @raedan01!

When you have the time to, please try the steps to uninstall and reinstall the app. I'd be happy to look into this further with you, but at your convenience of course.

Your thread will remain open in the meantime so please feel free to get back to me here at any time with updates or questions on this.

I hope this helps!

Daphne

View solution in original post

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?