Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Camera upload on, but not uploading, iPhone & android.

Explorer | Level 3

I have an iPhone with the Dropbox app. Camera upload is set to on, use mobile data is off. My phone does not upload anything to my dropbox unless i start the dropbox app. Is there anyting I can do to change this? 

I considered turning on the background upload, but it seems like this only works if location access is turned on and if my location changes. I only want to uppload via wifi, which means my location will not change. Therefore I assume turning background upload on will not make a difference?

On android my phone uploaded as soon as it was connected to wifi.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Camera upload on, but not uploading, iPhone

Super User II
Super User II

@Boxman wrote:

My phone does not upload anything to my dropbox unless i start the dropbox app. Is there anyting I can do to change this?

You need to enable Background Uploading, otherwise Dropbox can't upload while it's in the background.

Also, as you've noted, this requires Location Access. Apple only allows a background task to run for a short time before putting it to sleep. Dropbox uses a change in location as a trigger to "wake up" and continue uploading.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@Boxman wrote:

My phone does not upload anything to my dropbox unless i start the dropbox app. Is there anyting I can do to change this?

You need to enable Background Uploading, otherwise Dropbox can't upload while it's in the background.

Also, as you've noted, this requires Location Access. Apple only allows a background task to run for a short time before putting it to sleep. Dropbox uses a change in location as a trigger to "wake up" and continue uploading.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have precisely this problem, but with my android phone...is there a switch that I can turn on to enable this background uploading on android ?  Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @KenDavis, I’d happily follow-up on your inquiry! 

It sounds like you the issue you are experiencing my be due to a setting in your Dropbox app. To ensure that everything is optimally configured can you please follow these steps:

• Open the Dropbox app
  • Tap the menu
  • Tap Settings
  • Then under Camera uploads tap 'When to upload'
  • Check it is not set to 'Only while phone is charging’

Please do keep me updated on how these steps work for you & I’ll make sure to follow-up with you a bit more closely. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?