cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera uploads only working after opening the app

Camera uploads only working after opening the app

Jonathan H.1
Collaborator | Level 9

Camera uploads on Android has not worked correctly for well over a year now. I have tried different phones, reinstalls, everything. I've also tried all the troubleshooting on https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/photos/camera-uploads-fix

Basically photos/videos are not uploaded sometimes for several hours, sometimes for several days. Opening the app and going to Photos triggers the upload which begins instantly and finishes very quickly.

I am constantly on high signal wifi with 50 MBps upload speed and plugged into a charger so those are not relevant issues. And as I say I get the same behaviour on multiple phones.

Google Photos works fine instantly. Energy saving settings have Dropbox as an exception.

Has no one else had this issue ongoing for so long?

9 Replies 9

Re: Camera uploads only working after opening the app

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hello @Jonathan H.1, I'd be happy to help out with this!

Just to have a better idea of your current set up, can you let me know which version of the app you have installed?

Also, what OS version if your device running?

If possible, please send along a screenshot of the settings you have applied under "Camera uploads" within the Dropbox app.

Looking forward to your reply!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jonathan H.1
Collaborator | Level 9

App version 212.2.2

Android version 10

Camera uploads settings:

2020-11-07 13.27.31.jpg

Jonathan H.1
Collaborator | Level 9

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for that screenshot @Jonathan H.1!

I just noticed too, it seems you had another thread just over a year ago where you had the same issue.

From what I could see on the thread, you had a ticket with our Support team for this. Was the issue resolved there with the steps the team provided?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jonathan H.1
Collaborator | Level 9

I have a new phone and I can't find what the Support team suggested last time (nor do I remember whether it worked).

Daphne
Dropboxer

Okay, no worries there @. If you're not able to find their previous emails in your inbox, we can check on a few things from here.

Firstly, let's check that the mobile app has been granted the correct permissions through your OS settings. 

From your Settings menu, please select the "Apps and Notifications" (or "Apps"), and locate Dropbox. Tap "Permissions", and allow the app the relevant permissions. 

Also, please tap the "..." in the top right for additional options and choose to view all permissions. From there, please ensure the setting "Prevent phone from sleeping" is enabled.

Let me know if that helps!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Jonathan H.1
Collaborator | Level 9

Also, please tap the "..." in the top right for additional options and choose to view all permissions. From there, please ensure the setting "Prevent phone from sleeping" is enabled.

There's no way to either enable or disable this.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for checking that, the important thing is that it's showing there under the permissions.

So we can have a look further into this, I've reached out to the email linked with your profile here. When you have the time, please check your inbox and we can go from there.

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Jonathan H.1
Collaborator | Level 9

I've done this.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jonathan H.1 Collaborator | Level 9
    Daphne Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?