cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Dropbox work on Linux/Centos?

Can Dropbox work on Linux/Centos?

David S.178
Helpful | Level 7

Can Dropbox work on Linux/Centos? My Centos yum repository does not list Dropbox. My Centos computer has a command line, not a desktop, so the Dropbox Desktop App cannot work. Is there any way to use Dropbox on Centos?

4 Replies 4

Re: Can Dropbox work on Linux/Centos?

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @David S.178,

Have you taken look here?

Hope this helps.

David S.178
Helpful | Level 7

This does not help. This page lists only Ubuntu and Fedora and does not discuss the issue of Dropbox requiring a desktop, so far as I understand it. It is similar to other pages about Linux that I have seen. Nowhere is there any instruction for using Dropbox on a system that only has a command line.

Здравко
Super Collaborator | Level 20

Seems, you haven't read everything! Anyway... CentOS like Fedora uses Red-hat Package Manager (i. e.you can install the corresponding .rpm). When GUI is available, the Dropbox application uses it, otherwise would be controlled using CLI only. Alternative is the headless install (described on bottom page half), which isn't dependent from used package manager in any way. That's it. 😉 Read more careful!

David S.178
Helpful | Level 7

Dear Здравко,

1. I think I read it carefully enough, thank you. There was no mention of Centos. I am not a Linux expert, so how am I supposed to know that Centos is like Fedora? I do all my development on Windows.

2. Once I download the RPM file, I see no detailed instructions how to install it. Installing on Windows is easy because Windows is easy, and I have no problems with Dropbox on Windows. But I have never installed ANY software on my Centos production computer (other than by using cPanel and WHM), so how am I supposed to know how to do it? I can copy a file to Centos, but I have to know what directory to store it in and what command line arguments to use.

If you are going to be nasty to me, perhaps someone else could help me.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?