cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Whether you are transferring a single drive, a team or an entire organization, Movebot's cloud migration tool has been built to make your Dropbox migration simple - learn all about it here.

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I add one item using automatic computer backup?

Can I add one item using automatic computer backup?

christina143zauner
New member | Level 2

Hi, I would like to know how I can turn on the automatic backup funktion for one file on my windows laptop to sync with my dropbox which is allready installed.

5 Replies 5

Re: automatic backup

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey there @christina143zauner, thanks for posting your question today!

When you enable computer backup, you can add computer folders (like Downloads, Desktop, and Documents) to your Dropbox folder. 

Could you clarify if you want to add an individual file, or one of these folders? 

Give me a nudge whenever you get the chance, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TGBenedict
New member | Level 2

I have the same question.

I want to automatically back up one file with Dropbox Basic.

In Dropbox Basic I see is the option to add Desktop, Documents or Downloads folders. On my computer those folder have gigabytes of files which I don't need to back up. I only want to back up one file, which is a about 100 megabyte in size. Can this be done with Dropbox Basic?

Thank you.

Lusil
Dropboxer

Hey @TGBenedict, thanks for joining us here. 

Currently, you can only backup the Downloads, Documents, or Desktop folders as a whole, and not individual files. 

From what I understand, you'd like to be able to update a file in your Dropbox folder, but also store it somewhere else on your computer, is that right?

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

TGBenedict
New member | Level 2

@Lusil wrote:

From what I understand, you'd like to be able to update a file in your Dropbox folder, but also store it somewhere else on your computer, is that right?

I guess so. I have one local document that I want to be automatically backed up every few hours/days/etc. It's possible that Dropbox may not be the right tool for this task. I don't want to keep the main copy of the document in the cloud. I just want to keep a copy of it in the cloud and use the main copy locally. Maybe I just need to write a batch file to copy the file to Dropbox and have Windows Task Scheduler run it. I will think about that.

Thanks for the followup,

TG Benedict

Lusil
Dropboxer

I see, thanks for explaining that for me. 

If you'd like, you can post this as feature that you'd like to see in the future, here, where other users can comment and upvote your idea. 

In the meantime, if you have any other questions or comments, don't hesitate to give us another nudge. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropboxer
    TGBenedict New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?