cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can I delete the history of accessing my account on a laptop I handed out?

Can I delete the history of accessing my account on a laptop I handed out?

Rudi-B
Explorer | Level 3

I handed over my previous laptop to somebody else. Apparently, I must have forgotten to log out of Dropbox prior handing over the laptop. Under 'Security', I noticed that my personal dropbbox account is still linked with that device. I can now see the 'device name' (of my previous laptop), 'location' and 'most recent activity'. Under the last label there is the mention 'about a day ago'. Does this mean that that device was active 'about a day ago' or that somebody using that device accessed my personal dropbox account 'about a day ago' and thus had access/visibility to all my personal files in my dropbox account ? In case of the latter, can I also the history and the exact data/time that person accessed my files ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Rudi-B, thanks for messaging the Community!

If you’re seeing this message, then that means the computer was used recently, and the Dropbox desktop application was able to sync to that machine.

If you don’t want your account to sync to that machine any longer, you can unlink it using the device page.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi @Rudi-B, thanks for messaging the Community!

If you’re seeing this message, then that means the computer was used recently, and the Dropbox desktop application was able to sync to that machine.

If you don’t want your account to sync to that machine any longer, you can unlink it using the device page.

Hope this helps!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Rudi-B
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay, 

Thanks a lot for your reply. The 'creepy' part of it is that I changed my password on my own MAC but that, apparently, if the owner of my old laptop does not exit the dropbox account, that he can still access my private dropbox account unless, indeed, I disconnect/unlock that device in my dropbox settings. I come to that conclusion because I noticed that my old laptop accessed my private dropbox account after I changed the passoword. I am not a native English speaker (as you have noticed 🙂 ) but hope this is somehow clear.. Thanks again for your support. 

Jay
Dropboxer

No worires, glad to hear you were able to disconnect that machine.

Whenever you give or sell a device, I'd personally recommend wiping it clean or restoring it to factory settings, to prevent issues like this from occurring, since you could have passwords saved in various apps, services and browsers.

Doing it this way will give the new user a clean sheet to work from!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?