Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Can I have the desktop app installed on my Surface Pro X?

Explorer | Level 4

@Rich wrote:

@botman wrote:

Truly agrivated at this and I do not understand why this is even an issue as I am not familiar with the technical reason.

It's an issue because the Surface Pro X does not use your standard Intel or AMD processors that are found in most desktop and laptop comptuers. It's uses a more mobile-centric ARM processor, and regular applciations that run on Intel or AMD processors cannot run on ARM processors. This includes the regular Dropbox application, and Dropbox does not produce a desktop version of their app that can run on an ARM processor. Only Dropbox for S Mode will run on ARM.

That's not entirely true. The Surface Pro X supports running 32 bit x86 applications using an emulator. Many, if not most, 32 bit x86 apps run just fine, including Box's desktop app and OneDrives's desktop app, neither of which is an ARM application.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I honestly do not understand how an ARM processor is making dropbox obsolete. As far as mobile-centric, phones and tablets across the globe have ARM processors, so I am not sure how that is justified. If Microsoft is a fault here then shame on them. The Pro-x was literally designed to be mobile and should have accounted for this. The S-mode is completely useless in my mind. Work needs to flow, and accessing your files that you pay a cloud storage service for is pretty elementary.  With no answers on a fix I am stuck with $2500 email checker and web surfer. I will need to go find last gen used Surfaces now.  

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

@botman wrote:

I honestly do not understand how an ARM processor is making dropbox obsolete. As far as mobile-centric, phones and tablets across the globe have ARM processors, so I am not sure how that is justified. If Microsoft is a fault here then shame on them. The Pro-x was literally designed to be mobile and should have accounted for this. The S-mode is completely useless in my mind. Work needs to flow, and accessing your files that you pay a cloud storage service for is pretty elementary.  With no answers on a fix I am stuck with $2500 email checker and web surfer. I will need to go find last gen used Surfaces now.  

ARM processors aren't making Dropbox obsolete, and Microsoft isn't at fault. There are other ARM based systems on the market. Dropbox had plenty of notice that these systems were coming out but failed to respond. Dropbox used to be a company known for being innovative, but seems content to rest on its laurels now.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

This is what it seems like to me as well. The consumer is stuck again. At this stage this is not even about innovation. This is maintenance!!! 

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter, 

I'm voicing my support for Dropbox to recomplie a version that works on ARM processors. The link to requrest for Win10 on Snapdragon is five years old so obviuslly it's not a priority for Dropbox. 

Now that I've switched to a Surfax X, I will have to move to One-Drive.  The App verion is not the solution. I need complete integration with my desktop. I hope Dropbox will commit to a delivery date on a desktop version recomplied for ARM processors. 

Rick

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Second that! There were so many reviews that spoke negatively on Surface X, however most of the reviews were for Apps I dont need - Adobe's... I bought the Surface X hoping (!) DropBox will launch the ARM version soon. Will give this another 2 weeks, else it is back to the free (company paid) version of OneDrive. I dont see any difference in using OneDrive, like the Surface's keyboard it just needs getting used to.

Hope the DropBox team is listening, you are running behind what the market needs! iPadPro with the Touchpad is already launched and 2-in-1 is the future.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?