Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Can I have the desktop app installed on my Surface Pro X?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I don't have any information for this. 🤷‍♀️ 

In general we do not share information for future releases. We understand how convenient it would be for SurfaceProX users to have the Dropbox desktop app.

Feel free to add a topic to our share an idea section about this. I am sure it will be upvoted by other users. 

Thank you for your interest @clintonshawn

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Re: Surface pro x

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Jezeal

i have the same problem and i am affraid i have the same solution, i switch on One Drive

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

the same thing is happening to me. after bought this surface x. i used to use dropbox for all my daily basics. looks microsoft wants the people to try out their one drive option already integrated on the operating system.

i just thread the issue to the dropbox team, i hopefuly see soon a integration for the operating system and ms office. otherwise i will force to crossover to other platform.

@LukasSwan wrote:

Hello 

I have pre-ordered MS Surface Pro X. It will arrive next week and replace my Surface Pro 3.

I have 8 licences of Dropbox for Business for my Team. We all use MS Surface. I just tried, and the dropbox for S mode app isn't integrated with the computer at all. It will not work. It is basically read only when I download a file and it won't re upload.

So on my new computer I cannot even use dropbox effectively with MS Office integration. This is terrible. I will either have to cancel Dropbox altogether, or send computer back as we rely on cloud syncing between the team.

DROPBOX - give me confidence you will have this fixed within a month, or I will have to cancel and go to another cloud service that does integrate. (My org pays for OneDrive, but I don't like it as much as dropbox, but you are forcing me here).

Lukas

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have been following this forum for a while now, and i've felt every single persons pain and genuinely have read everyones post in my email notifications. I currently use a desktop, a macbook pro, surface pro x, and an iphone owner. I have continued using dropbox for all my other needs and storing data in an organized manner there, while also adopting one drive on all my devices as well. The one drive helps transfering/sharing from a dropbox compatible device to the surface pro x. and in my honest opinion, it has been a better solution for the time being.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

@carloslara @Jezeal @cwazysake @jeeblux @Fiona 

TECH UPDATE: After extensive support calls, emails, and chat sessions I've exhausted my efforts to send my desired mobilized technology strategies for our teams in the field up the Dropbox flagpole. As Fiona stated, Dropbox employees cannot disclose new release information.

The Advanced Support team did share my specific user case with their product team, so it may be something that will be addressed at some point, but I can confidently say from my interactions with the Dropbox support team members it's not an immediate priority. 

I've reset, zeroed out, packed, and shipped all of our Microsoft Surface X Pro tablets (Qualcomm SQ1 Snapdragon processor) back to our hardware vendor and swapped them with Microsoft Surface 7 Pro (10th Gen Intel Core i7 processor) tablets. Even though we're now forcing all employees to tether or connect via hotspot for data connections from their phones to their tablets when out in the field, there was instant satisifacton to see everyone appreciate the return of the desktop version of Dropbox and all of its features that were missing in the inferior S Mode version.

Managing the technology initiatives and strategies for several companies (several TB of data between them) we were not in a spot to consider migrating to OneDrive. 

Good luck to those that remain and I hope your goals align with this speed bump with Dropbox. 

Cheers,
-Eric

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Any idea when Dropbox will be compatible with my Surface Pro X in the desktop mode?

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

well fellow friend. i'm passing to the same situation. and the only way you can use the dropbox on the surface x, is using the app on microsoft store, which is very limited, and do not add the funcionality to the microsoft office suite or drive on the explorer.

i had decide to use the one drive app, that is already integrated.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

damm it bro, i said the same, but i decide to give a trial to microsoft one drive, which has full funcionatily.  and i think i'm to stay.

@lkarma13 wrote:

@carloslara @Jezeal @cwazysake @jeeblux @Fiona 

TECH UPDATE: After extensive support calls, emails, and chat sessions I've exhausted my efforts to send my desired mobilized technology strategies for our teams in the field up the Dropbox flagpole. As Fiona stated, Dropbox employees cannot disclose new release information.

The Advanced Support team did share my specific user case with their product team, so it may be something that will be addressed at some point, but I can confidently say from my interactions with the Dropbox support team members it's not an immediate priority. 

I've reset, zeroed out, packed, and shipped all of our Microsoft Surface X Pro tablets (Qualcomm SQ1 Snapdragon processor) back to our hardware vendor and swapped them with Microsoft Surface 7 Pro (10th Gen Intel Core i7 processor) tablets. Even though we're now forcing all employees to tether or connect via hotspot for data connections from their phones to their tablets when out in the field, there was instant satisifacton to see everyone appreciate the return of the desktop version of Dropbox and all of its features that were missing in the inferior S Mode version.

Managing the technology initiatives and strategies for several companies (several TB of data between them) we were not in a spot to consider migrating to OneDrive. 

Good luck to those that remain and I hope your goals align with this speed bump with Dropbox. 

Cheers,
-Eric

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Wow, I just bought 2 new Surface Pro X to add to the 3 we currently have from last generation. The last gen had mobile function and dropbox worked seemlessly. I was shocked to find out after trying to setup dropbox that it would not work on these. The whole purpose of the table was to give access to empoyees in the field what we are already using. Truly agrivated at this and I do not understand why this is even an issue as I am not familiar with the technical reason. Truly shocked. I have several thousand dollar bricks right now! Even though I can use the S mode this does not function with email or explorer. how useless is that.

Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

@botman wrote:

Truly agrivated at this and I do not understand why this is even an issue as I am not familiar with the technical reason.

It's an issue because the Surface Pro X does not use your standard Intel or AMD processors that are found in most desktop and laptop comptuers. It's uses a more mobile-centric ARM processor, and regular applciations that run on Intel or AMD processors cannot run on ARM processors. This includes the regular Dropbox application, and Dropbox does not produce a desktop version of their app that can run on an ARM processor. Only Dropbox for S Mode will run on ARM.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?