cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox installs & integrations

Connect your tools and content together with help from the Dropbox Community. Join a discussion or post a question of your own to get started.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I have the desktop application on my Windows XP machine?

Can I have the desktop application on my Windows XP machine?

Kenneth R.8
Not applicable

Dropbox no longer works on Microsoft XP-SP3 operating systems. With only two weeks advanced warning, Dropbox has abandoned all computers on XP.

24 Replies 24

Re: XP abandoned

George B.17
New member | Level 1

Upon rebooting Windows XP SP3 today 23Mar2016 dropbox popped up a window saying I am running an out of date version and need to update.  Clicked through to download the update, and running it resulted in  "Dropbox Update installation failed with error 0x800b0109".  Will wait a couple of days before trying to uninstall and reinstall Dropbox.

Dropbox website still lists xp sp3 as supported.

Rich
Super User II

Dropbox no longer works on Microsoft XP-SP3 operating systems.

That is not true. I just created a new account for someone and installed the latest release of Dropbox on an XP SP3 computer without a problem.

></p>

Kenneth R.8
Not applicable

Congrats Rich R., that still leaves the rest of us out in the cold.

George B, had the exact same issue as me and others.

But since you installed a new client, perhaps a search through the system registry and all files, to clean out any remnants of the old version might help. I'll try that.

Rich
Super User II

Yes, try that, and if it doesn't help, get Support involved. If they can't help you or they send you to the help center, ask for the ticket to be escalated.

John S.162
New member | Level 1

Hi All,

Support were not interested and sent me here to solve the problem myself!

XP and SP3 4gb RAM. Failed with similar error, tried both on and off line updates while AVG, anti virus was disconnected. No luck.

Reading through the discussions I think that will remove all traces of present application and start again with a new download. Possibly with Revo uninstaller.

J

Kenneth R.8
Not applicable

Good luck with that John S., I already tried that. I scoured out any files related to dropbox, and searched through the entire OS registry to delete any key lines with the word "dropbox". Please let us know if you find the "magic fix".

The only difference this made for me was that an "initializing" box came up for 15 seconds, before getting the usual install-fail error.

Rich R. claims he just did a good install, So I guess the only way to ensure an install, would be to wipe the whole freakin' drive clean, and reinstall XP SP3 bare bones with nothing else on it yet. And then load everything else back on it. Or another OS. Or maybe they made it to cause Dell problems only.

John S.162
New member | Level 1

Hi Kenneth and others,

Strange the problem I have is also with a Dell, a  Dimension 4700.

I will try the 'grand clear out' later today.

Regards

J

John S.162
New member | Level 1

Hi all Dropboxers,

Removed everything including folders in application data also Programme files folder.

Tried to download normal and 'off line' update and same problem exists.

Same problem x800b

Perhaps later..............

J

John S.162
New member | Level 1

Hi Dropboxers,

Completely buggered it up!  Massive clear out of everything Dropbox Started with a new e-mail address and got as far as the 'getting started' part. Fingers crossed and wham, more snakes than ladders in this game!  I'm back to the start, 0X800b again.

Don't really know what to try next though.

Any Ideas?

John

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Richard W.30 Not applicable
    Robert S. Experienced Collaborator | Level 11
    Ron B.2 Not applicable
    Linda Y.2 Not applicable
    Filippo P.2 Not applicable
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?