cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox in armhf

Can I install the desktop app in Raspberry Pi 4?

Edu1770
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, i'm trying to install dropbox in a raspberry pi 4 with raspbian lite (no X installed).

The architecture (armhf) seems to not be supported (only debian, fedora, ubuntu with x86 32/64),

I would like to use dropbox daemon to automatically sync my files using typical .dropbox-dist, as i do in other machines (ubuntu mainly). Is this possible on a raspberry pi ?

I don't know if python projects could launch background jobs to sync files or if those tools are intended to be used on demand (download this, upload another thing, etc.). I tried pip3 install dropbox, as well as, apt-get install python3-dropbox. Not sure if they are same thing, and how to use.

I have seen some projects like "github.com/andreafabrizi/Dropbox-Uploader.git" or "ExaGear Desktop", but this seems to miss that "dropbox daemon flavor" and i don't want X server (i prefer raspbian lite).

Which would be the best approach ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edu1770
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have tried many python utilities, but everything is "passive" actions far away from smart syncing as dropbox daemon provides. As you have the source code, i encourage you to try porting the code to ARM architecture. This will open a wide range os possibilities, not only for RPI users, but for many embeded systems working on ARM.

I also tried docker but needed x86 emulation, it is not a efficient approach. I understand you will have a great roadmap, and i will accept your solution but i'm sad about this.

BRs!

@Здравко wrote:

The Dropbox staff just tries to learn what's crosscompilation, so don't rely too much. Use some third party application, of your choice, or create your own. :wink:

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

The Dropbox staff just tries to learn what's crosscompilation, so don't rely too much. Use some third party application, of your choice, or create your own. :wink:

Edu1770
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have tried many python utilities, but everything is "passive" actions far away from smart syncing as dropbox daemon provides. As you have the source code, i encourage you to try porting the code to ARM architecture. This will open a wide range os possibilities, not only for RPI users, but for many embeded systems working on ARM.

I also tried docker but needed x86 emulation, it is not a efficient approach. I understand you will have a great roadmap, and i will accept your solution but i'm sad about this.

BRs!

@Здравко wrote:

dalepres
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I pay money for this so I help support the product.  I'd sure like a RPI package.  I am working on several RPI development projects and using RPI as my desktop in many cases.  Using DropBox to share files between my RPIs would be fantastic but without sync it is dangerous and reckless because I could lose data by overwriting.

TESLayout P.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
In my particular case i only need uploads (borg backups) from RPI, then i solved the problem with rclone project (https://rclone.org), which works quite better than many 3rd party libraries like dropbox python, because rclone identifies deltas and refresh removed files correctly.
But i cannot modify uptream the uploaded data because down sync is not available. This fact, for ARM is a great drawback and limitation that could make you think in change of cloud provider. Unfortunately, other providers (gdrive, etc) are even more restricted and oriented to GUI and general public with other needs.

This surprises me a lot, the high technology level nowadays and there is no solution for this in a highly extended context of rpi-like devices world.
Need more support?